The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Help with breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/help-breeding-48458/)

YaelFauth 02-21-2010 03:57 AM

Help with breeding

My Arabian mare is in full heat this week, and so I took her to a beautiful stallion to breed. He is a Quarter horse, and 4.5 years old.
I brought my mare to the ranch for a week, and when I got her there the Stallion got real exited and stared jumping around... Normal.
I put them together in the paster, her came up to her, got exited then walked away.
Jill, my mare, walked after him but nothing append...
Jill is 7 years old and it will be her first foal and breeding.
The Stallion's hined legs are in pain, but my friend sed he will be fine.
I an going to get a vet to look at them.
I really want a foal, but I don't know why he is not interested in her.
He gets on her and off... My friend sed her saw him do it. But sometimes he gets exited comes up to her sniffing an nugging her, but then walks off.
What to do??

kassierae 02-21-2010 04:26 AM

Lets see. Don't breed them, especially not pasture breeding. Obviously there is a reason why they won't connect. And may I ask what your reason for breeding is? Is their conformation outstanding? Do either of them have a show record or any training whatsoever? Why are you crossbreeding? Do the two horses compliment each other? I'm not trying to be mean, but breeding just because you want a foal is a very, VERY bad reason to breed. Why do you want to put more mediocre at best foals on the ground when very well bred foals are having trouble finding homes? If you want a foal so bad, go buy one. It will be MUCH cheaper in the long run, and you won't be putting your mare at risk. I strongly believe that anybody that breeds just to have a kyoot baby does not belong breeding. That is the absolute worst reason to breed. And again, I am sorry for sounding mean, but I feel very strongly about this subject. Also, that baby your mare will have will put one more horse on a slaughter truck. That's one less home for an auction horse. Please, please rethink your decision.

YaelFauth 02-21-2010 05:54 AM

I have a very good reason for breeding my horse. She is the most BEAUTIFUL Polish Arabian I have ever seen, and the stallion has a very good pedegry, My friend brought him from the USA... I live in Israel (But Im an American). And horse slaughter in this country is illegal!!!
I want to breed because I want a foal from her when I have to give her back when I go in the armi ...
And I want a cross because I want the Arabian beauty and grace with the big build of a Quarter horse. I really like that cross... I hve seen and ridden them befor.
Thank you !!! I know it sound stupid but I love her, and when I go to the armi for 2 years I will need to give her away.... And I would like to have a foal from her so I can keep !!!!!

kassierae 02-21-2010 06:45 AM

It's not about looks, it's about conformation. Pretty does NOT equal breeding quality. I personally do not think anything but the VERY best should be breeding, anywhere. By breeding your mare you are putting her and the foal potentially at risk for death. Are you ready to accept the fact that she could very well die giving birth? Can you afford all the vet care? You must think about all the thousands of dollars that go into breeding. And also, just because you want a baby is not a good reason for breeding. Not in the slightest.

Indyhorse 02-21-2010 09:10 AM

How are you going to care for the foal while you are in the army in two years? If going in forces you to give up the mare, then I hardly see the reason to add another life to be in limbo.

kevinshorses 02-21-2010 02:45 PM

Why does every thread about someone breeding ahorse have to be a big debate? She did not ask if she should breed her mare or not. She asked for advice on the logistics of breeding her mare not your take on the irresponsibility of some horse owners. She lives in a country that probably doesn't have an overpopulation of horses and she has decided to breed her mare.

To the OP: If she was in heat and in the pasture with the stallion for a week he has bred her. Any stallion that can walk will breed a mare in my experience. Stallions that are experienced pasture breeders generally take a little time to romance the mare so that they are sure she is ready and she isn't going to kick him or run off when he tries to mount. Stallions that have been hand bred where the mare is held stationary are generally not that polite and get the job done quicker. If your friend says he saw them breed then wait a couple weeks and have her ultrasounded and see if she is pregnant.

thunderhooves 02-21-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 559549)
Why does every thread about someone breeding ahorse have to be a big debate? She did not ask if she should breed her mare or not. She asked for advice on the logistics of breeding her mare not your take on the irresponsibility of some horse owners. She lives in a country that probably doesn't have an overpopulation of horses and she has decided to breed her mare.

To the OP: If she was in heat and in the pasture with the stallion for a week he has bred her. Any stallion that can walk will breed a mare in my experience. Stallions that are experienced pasture breeders generally take a little time to romance the mare so that they are sure she is ready and she isn't going to kick him or run off when he tries to mount. Stallions that have been hand bred where the mare is held stationary are generally not that polite and get the job done quicker. If your friend says he saw them breed then wait a couple weeks and have her ultrasounded and see if she is pregnant.

AMEN, kevinshorses! amen!

kevinshorses 02-21-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kassierae (Post 559246)
It's not about looks, it's about conformation. Pretty does NOT equal breeding quality. I personally do not think anything but the VERY best should be breeding, anywhere. By breeding your mare you are putting her and the foal potentially at risk for death. Are you ready to accept the fact that she could very well die giving birth? Can you afford all the vet care? You must think about all the thousands of dollars that go into breeding. And also, just because you want a baby is not a good reason for breeding. Not in the slightest.

Don't be such a breeding snob!! Raising a foal really doesn't cost that much and if she has the ability to keep it then get off her back. Very very few mares have problems foaling let alone die while foaling. Exaggerating the facts to make your point is right next door to lying.

kassierae 02-21-2010 05:43 PM

I am not a breeding snob, but I am sick and tired of seeing foals at auctions go for SIX dollars. SIX. I live 2 hours from New Holland, and we regularly take trips down there. The high prices barely reach $500, and that's for a dead broke registered horse. Last year we got a very cute, very well put together filly for $60. In a normal market that filly would have brought at least $500, although she isn't papered. I'm tired of seeing horses with poor conformation bred and creating conformational trainwrecks that can barely walk. How is that life fair for a horse? I'm not anti breeding, I'm anti breeding anything that is just average. Because if I want an average foal I can just go buy one for a heck of a lot cheaper. They are a dime a dozen, IMO. You guys can go ahead and think I'm a snob, I don't care. It's an opinion, and everyone is entitled to have one. Whether or not you agree is a different story.

nrhareiner 02-21-2010 06:22 PM

The thing you are forgetting is that the OP is not in the US. Their market might be totally different.

I am wondering if you can not keep the mare and have to give her away then how can you keep the foal??

That being said. I am not sure what the weather is like there but here we are just coming into spring and although the mares are starting to cycle they normally will not breed. I know I have mares that have already come into their first heat and I have been teasing them with my stallion and although they show a good standing heat he just walks away. They are not ready to breed as this is a transitional cycle. So I will start breeding in about 2-3 weeks from now.