The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   big yucky yellow snott (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/big-yucky-yellow-snott-4847/)

cory-boy 12-20-2007 10:10 PM

big yucky yellow snott

I have told ya guys before about my babie getting hurt in the trailer deal, well she's getting better, but today while eating her lunch she picked her head up and all I seen was this big (about a teaspoon size) yucky yellow snott :shock: she blew it out and I collected it incase vet would like to see this. My vet is schedualed to come out wednesday 12-26 to take a look at her leg cuz we have had some light smell from her leg but not everyday. What on earth is that snot from? She has no couphing or sneezing, she seems okay. I was going to take temp tonight after work, I have never seen this from her before.

I Love Lane 12-20-2007 10:20 PM

be very careful with this one! could be early signs of Pneumonia or it could just be a simple cold. I would be hitting it on the head now though with a call to my vet and a visit today not next week :D :shock:

buckaroo2010 12-20-2007 11:09 PM

YES i agree with above this does not sound good is there anyway you can have the vet come out sooner?

cory-boy 12-20-2007 11:13 PM

Well, I work until midnight and I'll be setting my alarm for 7am to give a call and see if he can get out there in the am. thanx guys

Ryle 12-21-2007 09:59 AM

You should quarantine this horse as you could be dealing with an infectious respiratory condition like strangles. Take her temp in the morning and be sure to note it for the vet.

cory-boy 12-21-2007 07:06 PM

Well vet came this afternoon, he got to see her yucky nose :shock: . He checked her over and took a sample will have it tested to see if it is strangles or if it is something he can treat with antibiotics, star's glads are not swollen but he said it could also be too yearly, I will know more in the next couple of days. I hope it is something that can be treated with antibiotics, My :cry: little girl has had so many issues since shes been at home with her trailer accident.

buckaroo2010 12-21-2007 09:49 PM

Thats good that he got out there today and got her tested I hope everything turns out ok and she doesnt have any problems :( let us know what the test results come back and say

cory-boy 12-28-2007 12:35 AM

Well I got back Stars test results. Kinda good news she has an infection(duh) but I can't remember the name, it has to do with her leg injury,and being stressed cuz of injury. vet said it is common, she will have to go on antibiotics something I sprinkle on feed. and she'll be fine.

buckaroo2010 12-28-2007 01:01 AM

Well glad to hear that it was nothing major..hopefully the antibotics will help her out and she will be better in no time! :)

PaintsAqha 12-28-2007 06:22 PM

Make sure she is fed on the ground so her sinuses can drain. I also find massaging the sinus area also helps to release.
I would also give her a anti-histamine/decongestant you can get it most places that has horse stuff or your vet. Although it is cheaper elsewhere.