The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help not sure if my mare is in foal

18K views 57 replies 27 participants last post by  tracey 
#1 ·
Hi can any one help me in finding out if my mare is in foal had the vet do a rectum internal and she said she could feel nothing my mare was used as a foaling machine and has had 5 foals to what i know off
I got her 10 years ago and never wanted a foal but i was told 3 weeks ago a colt got into the mare's field.

I think her shape is wrong to how she normaly is has with been a full welsh when she is over wieght she is round allover not just in the belly part

i have photo's showing her size

thank you :D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If you want to know for sure you need to consult a vet or you can wait a few months and see what happens.

#4 ·
umm....... if the vet said no then there isnt a baby...... and she does not look pregnant at all.How old was the colt? Was she in heat? Why didnt you get her checked earlier?

#5 ·
only found out last week :cry: thank's to this person that let his colts run about and then left the yard and left the colts unatended they were about 18 month's old, so got the vet in stright away i have read that a old mare thats had foal's are hard to detect if in foal by rectol internal i just hope she is not as can't aford to keep another mouth to feed

#6 ·
why didnt you have a vet do somthing else then? And if she is that far along then you can feel the baby when you stick your hand.....in there.......

#10 ·
There would be not the slightest external sign in a mare only three weeks into a pregnancy. Her belly would not look any different, her udders would not look any different. Most mares don't show any changes in body shape until nearly seven months along or later. Your best way to tell if a mare is bred is at or after day 21 (three weeks) a vet can do a rectal palpitation - which you have had done, and the vet TOLD you there is no baby. If you are still concerned, like someone mentioned, shell out the bucks and have an ultrasound done.

#13 ·
but i was told 3 weeks ago a colt got into the mare's field.
You said three weeks ago. I guess you meant you were told three weeks ago that it happend 10 months ago?

That does not look like an advanced pregnancy, and you already had your vet check, so I would say not pregnant. If you are still convinced, then have another vet check her. I HIGHLY doubt a vet could miss a foal that's near ready to be born though, they take up a lot of room in the mare!

#15 ·
I'm sorry, I had misunderstood your original post and was under the impression your mare was only bred (possibly) three weeks ago.

But I'd still back your vet at this point. If your mare is 10 months along, as CheyAut said it would be very difficult for your vet to "miss" the baby on a palpitation. It's a good idea to be prepared in any case, of course, have the supplies you need and keep your vet on call. But I'd trust your vet's greater wisdom at this point, if he says no baby, assume there is no baby. As I mentioned in a previous post, if you are concerned he might be wrong, ask him to do an ultrasound.

#19 ·
That looks about like the foal movement we had last year on our rescue Arab mare around 10 months along. I'd be shocked if she wasn't in foal, but then again, she looks in foal to me as well, so what do I know. At this point, you could ultrasound or just wait. Ultrasounds are only $125 around here.

#20 ·
That certainly looks like foal movement to me. Since your first vet seems to have "missed" a baby with a mare this late in her pregnancy, getting another vet out with a second opinion might be a very good idea.

Good for you for sticking to your guns on this. You know your mare best!

Congrats :lol:

#21 ·
Looks like foal movement. I've never foaled out a mare but I was there when my friends mare foaled out and there was a lot of foal movement that looked similar to that.

I'm just wondering how the vet missed it?! I personally wouldn't trust a vet after that, I mean, that's not a little baby if she's as far along as it sounds she is. I guess I'd still get her a check to be on the absolute safe side. Congrats and good luck!

#23 ·
I am a little confused as to how your vet could possibly have missed a 10 month pregnancy on rectal palpation. I have palpated our arabian herd, many of whom have had 10 + foals and haven't missed a single pregnancy past 90 days and I am only a 2nd year veterinary student. You need to have another vet come and check. They can do a trans-abdominal ultrasound (put the transducer right on the belly) and give you a due date as well as sex the baby.

there is NO WAY a qualified veterinarian could have missed a pregnancy that far along. Get a different vet to confirm, PLEASE!!!

#24 ·
there is NO WAY a qualified veterinarian could have missed a pregnancy that far along. Get a different vet to confirm, PLEASE!!!

Hi thank you for all your post's the vet that did the rectal was a full qualified vet at ths swanbridge vet centre about 10 miles from me i guess she got it wrong this time around that cost me £90.00 in english money has i in england lol.

i know my mare too well i guess after owning her for 10 years

I will be phoning the vets up and going to play up hell will keep you all posted
thank you

#27 ·

Hi thank you for all your post's the vet that did the rectal was a full qualified vet at ths swanbridge vet centre about 10 miles from me i guess she got it wrong this time around that cost me £90.00 in english money has i in england lol.

I didn't mean qualified as in a graduate veterinarian (we're both speaking english, but different languages you know? LOL) I meant one qualified with experience, not in a veterinary degree. Anyway, any update? Would love to know the results because that girl sure looks pregnant and if a bunch of us on the internet can diagnose her from a 20 second video, I'd be mad as hell with my vet for missing it!!!

And don't forget pics of the foal!:D

#25 ·
Yeah, i'm about 99% sure that mare is in foal. Kind of hard to see from the video the kicking, but you could see a bit and the pictures look like she's definately in foal. Pretty mare. If she was used as a broodie i'm sure she'll do just fine.

#29 ·
Hi all just a update my mare is getting biger by the day now i did take her out for a short ride yesturday and she was very good never put a foot wrong strange i thought but some one told me there are quiter to ride when in foal is this true or was it just luck she not been rode since before christmas with us having bad weather and me having a bad hip joint

i will be putting some new photo's on soon

T x

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.