The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   Art Journal...graphite mare and foal (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/art-journal-graphite-mare-foal-48531/)

Equusketch 02-21-2010 09:00 PM

Art Journal...graphite mare and foal

2 Attachment(s)
2/21/10

I thought I'd start an art journal for my latest commission, a whopping
18 x 24 graphite drawing of an arabian mare and foal for my friend. I have really enjoyed following Kayty's art journal and have actually learned from watching her drawings come to life!

Anyway. I have probably spent at least 2 (maybe more) hours on just the rough sketch alone! I did a first draft and after mush erasing and redrawing, I still wasn't happy with either the proportions or the orientation of the drawing. So I ran to the art supply store and bought a new sheet of paper, which as it turns out is a mildly toothed watercolor paper. I cheated and also bought tracing paper so I could just trace the old image and make neccessary adjustments and transfer it to the new paper, this time with a much better orientation. I just didn't feel like freehanding the whole **** thing again!

So here are the first two rough sketches:
1. first attempt- the mare's head is too big for her body and I did not position the sketch high enough on the paper. This drawing has not gone to waste as I plan now to use this drawing as an excuse to FINALLY try out those watercolor paints I bought a bazillion years ago, but have been too afraid to actually try...lol.

2. rough sketch for the graphite drawing

Honeysuga 02-21-2010 09:12 PM

Stinning picture cant wait to see the finished product!

midwestgirl89 02-21-2010 10:37 PM

Hey Liz~So excited to see how it turns out! 18x24?! That's huge =)
I always think the rough sketch at first is the hardest thing for me-meaning the most frustrating. It rarely works out on the first try and I get so angry at it. I restart and restart til I'm satisfied. And most of the time when I'm flipping back through those old rough sketches...there's nothing wrong with them. All me :? Oh well.
Look forward to progress. I love these threads too. It's awesome to see the process and learning tips and tidbits.

Equusketch 02-22-2010 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2/22/10

Here is tonight's progress, but unfortunately my camera battery is dead and I had to settle for a pic taken on my cell phone. Basically I am just trying to get used to a much more toothed paper than I am used to. I am not sure if I want to keep going with this drawing and see how I feel about the roughness of the paper, or just start over again on a smoother surface. I kind of like the effect of the rough paper, but this is definately out of my comfort zone.

Honeysuga 02-23-2010 12:13 AM

I think you will be pleased with the finished result of the more toothed paper, I personally prefer it to a smoother paper when I am doing a graphite sketch... Plus it adds a skill to your repertoire and gives your client a little more option when you become more comfortable with a different texture of paper...

midwestgirl89 02-23-2010 01:18 AM

I don't recall working with a rough paper before...so I can't contribute much there. But I'd keep going...it looks beautiful!

ladybugsgirl 02-23-2010 01:22 AM

You are soooo amazing

Plains Drifter 02-23-2010 12:35 PM

Don't know if it's the rough paper...or just the sketch in general, but that mare's neck looks soo soft. Each time I look at the drawing, I keep thinking I'd love to stroke her neck.

My2Geldings 02-23-2010 12:40 PM

Waw, great drawings. The dimensions of horses lying down are difficult to get, so good for you! they look great :shock:

Flintlock 02-23-2010 01:00 PM

Looking great!