The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Too long split reins? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/too-long-split-reins-48546/)

Wallaby 02-22-2010 02:13 AM

Too long split reins?

I got some split reins that I absolutely love, but they're WAY too long. When I'm riding with them pretty loose they're only about a foot and a half away from the ground. :shock: And then, if I try to have any sort of contact with Lacey's mouth, they actually seem to wrap themselves around her legs and are only about 6 inches off the ground.
Since she does have pretty "lofty" gaits, I'm very concerned about her accidentally stepping on one or something...
I'm currently holding them (when I'm neck reining with no contact) in my right hand with my pointer finger in between the reins which is "correct" according to my horsemanship teacher... Maybe that's not right? I'm not holding on to anything with my left hand. Should I be holding the ends with my left hand?
When I have contact I've been "bridging" them but they're just so dang long!

I guess my main concern is the direct reining/contact thing since Lacey isn't perfect at neck reining yet and there are some times when she needs me to pick up both reins...

The other day, it was exceedingly hilarious, the reins had awkwardly wrapped themselves around her leg and she was mad. So she angrily swished her tail and COW KICKED at them. I think I about died of laughter. She was like "you're throwing off my groove! Meanies!" It was hilarious. I think that was one of the only times I've ever seen her act out in irritation at something. Tooooo funny.

Is there a trick? There must be....I hope.

White Foot 02-22-2010 07:17 AM

I tie them in a knot. After awhile you get used to them and know how to use them while your riding (like a crop).

NorthernMama 02-22-2010 09:17 AM

Why not just cut them shorter? Just do 6" at first though.

Indyhorse 02-22-2010 10:40 AM

I agree with Northernmama, you could cut them down to a better fit. I ride with very long reins, it's fine on my gelding with his big ol' neck, but on my mare they are about like you describe yours are. I will often carry the slack in my other hand (especially as she can be on the lazy side!) but you can't do that in the show ring.

nrhareiner 02-22-2010 12:15 PM

To me there is no such thing. I like my reins long. All of mine are 9 feet.

However if you think they are too long just shorten them of better yet I will trade you for a shorter pair I have that I will not use b/c they are too short only about 7 feet.

Wallaby 02-22-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrhareiner (Post 560260)

However if you think they are too long just shorten them of better yet I will trade you for a shorter pair I have that I will not use b/c they are too short only about 7 feet.

Thanks for the offer but they are neon green/turquoise and black, probably not exactly what you have in mind. :lol:

I think I'll just look into cutting them down, maybe I'll just take off a foot or so to begin with just so I don't make them too short... I'm gonna go get them from the barn tomorrow and take a looksee at how the ends are put together since they're the nylon braid (or whatever that stuff is) kind so they have a leather popper on the end that I'd like to still have if at all possible...
I wish Lacey had a longer neck! haha Cuz these reins would probably double perfectly as lead ropes at their current length but I just don't like worrying about her stepping on them, yknow? Maybe they'll still be perfect if I cut a foot off, I'll have to see.

smrobs 02-22-2010 06:06 PM

I hope you are able to get them down to a good length for you. Off topic, but NRHAreiner, where do you find reins 9 feet long? All I can ever find is 8.

nrhareiner 02-22-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 560579)
Off topic, but NRHAreiner, where do you find reins 9 feet long? All I can ever find is 8.

You really have to hunt for them. Shultze Brothers have them at times. I really like their stuff.