The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Idk? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/idk-48556/)

wannahorse22 02-22-2010 10:25 AM

Idk?

I was reading about all the poisonous plants for horses yesterday. Its kind of scary how consumption of certain plants results in death:shock:. So do you guys mow your pasture evry once in a while? Or do you use some weed killer stuff? Thanks!

Brianna6432 02-23-2010 08:11 PM

My pasture has like no weeds whatsoever ( thanks to my goat (: ) and, as for the trees, I wrap all the bad ones.

wannahorse22 02-24-2010 03:00 PM

O thats great to hear! If i get a horse in the future we would be pasturing it with a goat!

Alwaysbehind 02-24-2010 03:11 PM

My pasture is mowed several times during the summer months.

wannahorse22 02-24-2010 07:07 PM

ok thanks guys!

wild_spot 02-24-2010 08:11 PM

We spray once or twice a year. Our main problem is pattersons curse - It os everywhere and destroys a horses liver as a result of prolonged consumption.

We shift them to a new paddock, spray it, and leve for two or so weeks and put them back in. You have to choose a spray that will only kill what you are after, and make sure you keep any stock off it for the required time.

darkwillow 03-07-2010 07:00 PM

I will probably get pounded for this, but I have generally found that if a horse has sufficent food, they will leave the poisonous ones alone. Horses have evolved over many years and instinctively "know" which plants are not safe. That is not to say that they shouldn't be removed IMMEDIATELY, but just to tell you not to panic and call the vet if you do find a weed.
Also, please be careful which weed killer you get, as some of them can have harmful chemicals in them, which unfortunately the horse does not "know" they shouldn't eat.

kevinshorses 03-07-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkwillow (Post 571566)
I will probably get pounded for this, but I have generally found that if a horse has sufficent food, they will leave the poisonous ones alone. Horses have evolved over many years and instinctively "know" which plants are not safe. That is not to say that they shouldn't be removed IMMEDIATELY, but just to tell you not to panic and call the vet if you do find a weed.

I agree with this.

Seahorseys 03-07-2010 07:42 PM

I've heard horses can even discard the weeds out one side of their mouth, like they can separate the good from bad while they are chewing!

Indyhorse 03-07-2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkwillow (Post 571566)
Also, please be careful which weed killer you get, as some of them can have harmful chemicals in them, which unfortunately the horse does not "know" they shouldn't eat.

I agree too. When I bought this property, it was so severely neglected and overgrown, and I just turned the horses out in the pasture. They happily ate what was "good" and left the "bad" stuff standing - which gave me a much better idea of where I needed to dig stuff up and get it out of there. After removing the stuff I knew was poisonous, I mowed several times over the summer, and will continue to do so this spring/summer, because on top of the wild hemlock I had growing in my pasture (all dug up and gone now), I also had massive amounts of cockleburrs and thistles - which to my understanding will take YEARS to conquer!