The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Training OTT Arabian with DU Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/training-ott-arabian-du-horsemanship-48560/)

Jubilee 02-22-2010 10:55 AM

Training OTT Arabian with DU Horsemanship

Hey Everyone,

Just for starters I want to say that this thread is not for debating the validity of Clinton Anderson and his methods. I am already sold on his methods. I'm not a purist in that I do use and appreciate other clinicians methods, but Clinton Anderson is my favorite thus far. This is not up for debate. CA flaming will not be tolerated.

Ok, with that said, I am pretty excited right now. I have been looking for opportunities to practice my horse training skills using Downunder Horsemanship. It is my goal to become a horse training clinician one day and DUH best suites my riding and training style. I am wanting to make a video to demonstrate my training skills to future clients/employers. In the video I would demonstrate the foundation exercises (both on the ground and in the saddle) of Clinton Anderson's method. Only one problem: I don't have my own horse/horses to do the video with.

Well, I was talking with one of my friends and she has a solution to my problem. Her family owns a farm nearby and they breed arabian racehorses. My friend isn't really into the family business, she doesn't really like racing. She instead teaches riding lessons and runs the Therapeutic Riding Center that I volunteer at (that is how we met). She is also in charge of retraining and selling her family's horses that come off the track. Right now she is so busy that she really does not have time to do the training of the OTT horses. So she is more then happy to let me use her horses for my video. Awesome.

She has given me the pic of five of her horses to train, four of them won't be arriving from off the track until mid March. Now here is my dilemma: I am wanting to focus all of my attention onto just one horse to start with until after I finish the video. I am not sure which of the horses I should go with. The one horse that she has available for me to work with right away is a gelding that has been off the track for over a year now. His name is Force. He has already been shown some and is now being used for lessons. The good thing about him is that he has already calmed down a lot from being off the track. The downside is that he has also had time to develop bad habits from unexperienced hands, also he is still being used in lessons so I will not always have access to him. The other four horses that will be coming in March are fresh of the track so they will be hot, but they are also completely free for me to work with at anytime. I don't know much about the individual horses in this group yet, I'm hoping to find out more about them today.

What are your opinions?

This is Force, the horse that is already off the track:
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._3294720_n.jpg

This is Ready, one of the horses that will be coming off in March. He is the only one I've seen pics of so far:
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4488831_n.jpg

Jubilee

Beling 02-23-2010 02:11 PM

What an opportunity!
I'd get one fresh off the track, considering your video plans.
Beautiful horses!

gypsygirl 02-23-2010 02:18 PM

maybe you could work with the one that they already have until the new ones come & then you could focus your attention on them

Jubilee 02-24-2010 11:08 AM

Well, I've made up my mind. I am going to wait and train one of the new horses that are coming off the track. Force is going to be used way too much by other riders this summer. He is used every week in riding lessons and will be shown this summer. It would be spotty how often I get to work with him and his training would not be consistent. So I'm going to use one of the other horses who would be just my horse to work with, no one else's.

The second horse I posted a picture of, Ready, he is already claimed as a project horse by the guy who first broke him in. Apparently Ready is his pride and joy, so I won't get in his way. But that still leaves three more for me to choose from and my friend has promised me top pick of those three. There are two studs/geldings (not sure if they have been castrated yet, but they will be) and one mare. Personally I am hoping one of the geldings work out for me because I like working with geldings best. They don't have barn names yet but their racing names are ANNSWER TO PRAYER, POCAHONTAS' DREAM, and THE PARADOXX.

By the way, all four of these horses that are coming off the track will be put up for sale after they have been trained, so if you are interested in buying a purebred arabian, let me know and I will put you in touch with the owners. I have not met these horses yet, but this farm has consistently produced arabs with good temperaments that have gone on to be great riding horses after their racing careers. Some of their ex-racers are in their late teens and are still showing and being used as lesson horses.

Jubilee

Mercedes 02-24-2010 11:35 AM

It would seem to me that if the training program is sound, it won't matter which horse you get. So the only way to improve your odds of success, would be to choose the horse you click with.

smrobs 02-24-2010 12:05 PM

Congratulations on such a wonderful opportunity :D. I have to agree with Mercedes, I don't think it will matter which one that you choose. You have a good head on your shoulders and I am looking forward to following your progress with the new project. You absolutely have to post pix of whichever one you get.

Honeysuga 02-24-2010 05:29 PM

Best of luck! Definitely start a picture journal and let us know the progress. It would be really fun if you made a thread to chronicle your progress!

Jubilee 02-24-2010 08:20 PM

Oh I will take lots of pictures, that's a promise. I plan to chronicle it on my blog: "Dream Chaser" but I will also post my progress on the Horse Forum as well.

I am really excited about starting, though I probably won't be able to get seriously underway until the end of March or the beginning of April. I'm having surgery on my arm next week and will need a few weeks to recover. That will give the horses a little time to settle in before we really get to working hard. Though I will probably go out to evaluate them as soon as they come off the track... just don't tell my doctor, lol.

Jubilee