The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Leaving tail wrap on during turnout? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/leaving-tail-wrap-during-turnout-48647/)

ShannonSevenfold 02-23-2010 07:45 AM

Leaving tail wrap on during turnout?

Wasn't too sure if this was the right spot or not so, someone feel free to move it if necessary...

Anyways, I was planning on doing a number on my boy's tail one of these days. I want to pull it and wash it and then braid it and wrap it because he has such tangled and broken tail hair and I want it to be clean for once. Urghh. haha. So I was wondering, is it safe to leave a tail wrap on for turnout as long as it is applied properly? Or should I just braid it and put it up and leave it at that?

mls 02-23-2010 10:06 AM

A tail bag is fine. A tail wrap should only be used during foaling, breeding or trailering.

Wallaby 02-23-2010 10:37 AM

I've been braiding Lacey's tail all winter, no bag or anything, and it is so much fuller and longer than it's ever been right now. Before I braided it the first time I "banged" it (more like I trimmed off an inch or two since it was too short to legitly bang) so that the end was easier to have the end look nicer...
I just take it out about once a week and condition it and then I wash it about once a month.
I tried braiding it and putting a tail bag on it but that failed miserably, she kept somehow getting her tail out of the bag. haha

nrhareiner 02-23-2010 11:29 AM

I use the 3 tub tail wraps on all my horses then put in a tail bag. I leave them like that all year taking them down and redoing them about once a week. Washing as needed.

FGRanch 02-23-2010 11:54 AM

My horses have tail bags in all the time. I take them out once a week and apply MTG and then rebraid and bag.

Meaghan1011 02-23-2010 01:50 PM

I would only do it for breeding, trailering or showing, no turnout tho

BackInTheSaddleAgain 02-25-2010 04:59 PM

My pasture mate uses these on her wedding carriage shire, and +h my gosh is his tail amazing!! Pure white and touching the ground. She swears by them. No problems in turn out. (Its made of cotton).
Quote:

Originally Posted by nrhareiner (Post 561353)
I use the 3 tub tail wraps on all my horses then put in a tail bag. I leave them like that all year taking them down and redoing them about once a week. Washing as needed.

Posted via Mobile Device

nrhareiner 02-25-2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackInTheSaddleAgain (Post 563500)
My pasture mate uses these on her wedding carriage shire, and +h my gosh is his tail amazing!! Pure white and touching the ground. She swears by them. No problems in turn out. (Its made of cotton).
Posted via Mobile Device

Ya I love them also. I have about 20 (I have 5 horses) of them and change them out about every week or when they need it and when I get low I wash them with the sleazi which I have several. Makes for a nice load.

The trails stay clean even with all this mud and mess we have now. Worst part is when it gets like this and they get wet and then freeze makes it hard to get them out. That is why I put them up in a tail bag. Keeps them up higher and helps keep the ends from getting wet.

BackInTheSaddleAgain 02-25-2010 05:30 PM

I need to order some of these tail bags. The mud is sooo bad here, too. When it dris it turns to rock. Can't wait for spring. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nrhareiner (Post 563518)
Ya I love them also. I have about 20 (I have 5 horses) of them and change them out about every week or when they need it and when I get low I wash them with the sleazi which I have several. Makes for a nice load.

The trails stay clean even with all this mud and mess we have now. Worst part is when it gets like this and they get wet and then freeze makes it hard to get them out. That is why I put them up in a tail bag. Keeps them up higher and helps keep the ends from getting wet.

Posted via Mobile Device

nrhareiner 02-25-2010 05:36 PM

I got mine from Horseloverz on Ebay. Good price if you get get them in the auction part.