The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Saturated Blood Lines (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/saturated-blood-lines-48717/)

PaintsPwn 02-23-2010 11:57 PM

Saturated Blood Lines

I am honestly sick to death of seeing 'Boones Little Buckaroo' in every single miniature horse! I can't imagine what this is going to do to future miniatures because the miniature world is SO saturated with him!!!

We're attempting to breed miniatures with no buckaroo lines, which is proving difficult. Rizer has the bloodline to him, but it's way far back there. Thankfully, Galaxy is not related to Boone's AT ALL.

I just wanted some thoughts from the other mini breeders on what the overbred stallion is producing/could be producing from so much inbreeding.

mountainhorse44 04-20-2010 05:07 PM

Sarah doesnt have Boone's Little Buckaroo in her bloodline.

Indyhorse 04-20-2010 08:00 PM

You are going to have a time with it! Popular sire effect is just as present in minis as big horses, unfortunately, and people are STILL willing to pay the bucks for Buckaroo bloodlines. Jana at Double Diamond in Warsaw, IN is currently standing four superb stallions, and none of them are Buckaroo bloodlines.

http://www.doublediamondauctionsite....x?pn=stallions

I know a few of her broodmares are Buckaroo bloodlines, but I think she's moving away from them as well in favor of more "arab type" minis, like her two stallions out of Flying Aces Unos Noble Attitude. You might get in touch with her if you are looking to add in some different bloodlines. Note, though, her horses tend to be a bit high dollar. :D

littlehooves 04-21-2010 01:19 AM

I've tried to avoid the bloodline, but it's tough. I have a couple mares who have him further back. But my stallions are 100% Buckeroo free :)
And I think my non Buckeroo mare is in foal to my pinto stallion, too. Looking forward to this baby! Of course, my Buckeroo mares are still very nice mares. I don't give the credit to the Buckeroo part, though.

SoMuchManureSoLittleTime 05-14-2010 09:40 AM

There is a big difference in line breeding as opposed to inbreeding.

When Buckeroo appears in a pedigree as grandsire or great grandsire, the genes are diluted by the many other horses who appear in the pedigree.

For years, dog breeders and horse breeders have used line breeding successfully.

Some of our minis have a lot of Buckeroo. Some do not have any. It is a matter of preference. It sounds as if you have a bias against the Buckeroo breeding.

One thing I'll say about the Buckeroo lines is that the temperament is superb. Buckeroo has consistently produced stunning offspring over the years. Yes, there has been a lot of hype, but much of that is very well deserved. We have a Buckeroo son who is the most biddable stallion. He is a gentleman and is never hard to handle. He has produced many National Champions. These horses have included very Arab looking, refined minis which is the current trend.

Buckeroo has made a tremendous impact on miniatures. There is no doubt about that. I appreciate that fact. He is a prepotent stallion and has offered good conformation, great temperament and many other good things.

There are other good stallions out there also. The goal of a breeder should be to produce the "next superior horse" whatever the breeding.

It is hard to know exactly what horse from what bloodline is going to do that for you. That is the challenge.

PonderosaMiniatures 06-18-2010 08:50 PM

I have one of his, :) Hes a grandsire, Sire being, Lucky Four Black Velvet, beautiful horses....I have Luck Velvet Houdini...:)

PaintsPwn 06-27-2010 02:32 AM

This was buried O___O

I have a grandson of Buckeroo. Don't like him that much, to be honest.

We bought an awesome stallion - no buckeroo at all - who is the best little sweetest, best behaved thing (after he learned manners!) while still having that stallion pride.

And yeah, we have had a time with trying to find horses sans those lines!

aandbminis 06-27-2010 10:20 PM

I have about 15 horse and NONE of them have Buckaroo in the bloodline at all. I agree is has been really over bred and I figure that people are going to need a horse without buckaroo in the bloodlines to breed with all the buckaroos so I try to stay away from that line. My stallions are good stallions from good lines that not everyone has. Seeing buckaroo in a bloodline makes me look somewhere else. He has had almost 400 foals, I've never seen a stallion with so many foals so no wonder everyone has a Buckaroo bred horse. lol

PonderosaMiniatures 06-28-2010 12:39 PM

Actually ,there are 5,433 that share the Buckeroo name in the AMHA database..WOW!! For being 32 he is still as beautiful as he was back then, :)

aandbminis 06-28-2010 02:35 PM

I agree Buckaroo is a nice looking horse....I even considered buying a son before I knew exactly how many offspring he had... I knew that there are 5000 with the buckaroo lineage but he has almost 400 direct offspring. I just like something that not everyone has is all. What I don't understand is how people sell a buckaroo bred horse for any money because everyone has one :)