The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Butt-hair problems... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/butt-hair-problems-48722/)

Thatgirlsacowboy 02-24-2010 12:08 AM

Butt-hair problems...

I am literally at my wits ends. Cricket never had a problem with her butt-hair untill we moved to this new ranch. Now she rubbs it up against the PVC that is covering the "wire" of her "corral" and she keeps slicing up her butt. Her butt hair is GONE. I just got the beginnings of her tail growing back, but I can't, for the LIFE of me, get her butt hair to grow back!!!!

I have tried almost everything. The ranch owner told us that we need to wash her butt with Head and Shoulders every week. I've done it for almost two months and nothing happened. Then she said her skin was TOO dry so to do this whole two part method bla bah thing. We did that for almost a month and it still didn't work. The only thing that semi worked at all was hand sanitizer and furizone. That got her hair growing back again, but she rubbed it out again. MTG isn't working either. We even treated for mites and nothing happened. Now she just sits in her corral, butt-hair-less untill I can figure out something else. She never did this when she was in an actual pipe corral. The vet should be coming out within a month for our preventative care program, she needs her shots and teeth done. Untill then, I need some help! Anything you suggest will be tried out! Lol.

Onto pictures.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...cess/015-1.jpg

Lawdy, lawdy... It looks worse now than it ever has. These pictures are from december.

Please, and thank you SO much! BTW, she is UTD on dewormer. It's just her shots that I need because apparently, they were UTD, too. But now I'm not sure because her previous owner was a liar. Okay, I'm done! Haha

Honeysuga 02-24-2010 12:23 AM

Even if she is UDT with her dewormer, she could still have an overload, they could be resistant or the new place could have a huge population. I would get a fecal count done to rule that out as a possibility.

nrhareiner 02-24-2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honeysuga (Post 562109)
Even if she is UDT with her dewormer, she could still have an overload, they could be resistant or the new place could have a huge population. I would get a fecal count done to rule that out as a possibility.

I agree with this as a good place to start.

I would also give her a good bath with some Iodine Scrub. If there is some type of bacteria or fungus going on that will kill it. Just make sure you let it sit on long enough and do it several days in a row.

Also and this may sound funny but Bacon Grease is great for getting hair to grow. However keep an eye on it if it gets hot or you have a bug problem.

paint gurl 23 02-24-2010 01:31 AM

Agreed as well with the other posts. I would recommend trying straight apple cider vinegar. You can either spray it on or spray it on a brush and brush it on. Her butt looks like some kind of bacteria thing and nothing will grow unless you clear up the bacteria. This can happen anywhere and can be quite itchy. Manes and tails seem to be the worst which would explain why her tail is bare too. Some horses rub tails just to rub them but this doesnt look like that type of situation. Use it on her tail as well and give it a week or two and see what happens. Hope it helps!

AQHA13 02-24-2010 01:42 AM

Our older mare used to do that same thing because she had allergies, so maybe that is a possibility in this situation too?

MN Tigerstripes 02-24-2010 08:19 AM

Check her udder. Mares will rub their tails when their udder is really dirty. Kinda like geldings rubbing their tails sometimes when their sheath is dirty. My old mare is/was a serial tailrubber until I started cleaning her udder regularly. She gets dirty pretty quickly, so I usually clean it weekly (more in the summer) or any time I notice her rubbing again.

churumbeque 02-24-2010 08:44 AM

Pin worms?

sassyfrass09 02-24-2010 09:26 AM

We used to pour Listerine on tails of horses who were rubbers to kill of any itchy bacteria.

eventerdrew 02-24-2010 10:06 AM

I would definitely check worms and her udder. My mare did that all the time when her udder was dirty.

Thatgirlsacowboy 02-24-2010 05:44 PM

Okay, thanks everyone for the replies!!

I'll have to see about the worm thing.

As for her udders, I have a thing about udders and hers is always clean. I clean out the dirt build up every time I groom her.

So we can rule out dirty udder.

These pictures are from Novemeber/ December-ish. Since these were taken, the tail hair has grown back a bit and she's stopped rubbing off the hair there. It's now the spots on her butt. The skin is flaky, too. She likes it when you scratch it for her. Lol.

I think it's just that her skin is too dry. Does anyone have any ideas for moisturizing? MTG got the hair on the top of her tail to grow back. It's about two inches or so?

Thanks!