The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Going forward without being led. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/going-forward-without-being-led-4882/)

Lorry1 12-23-2007 07:02 AM

Going forward without being led.

I just got a qh gelding (15-20 yrs old) and apparently he was a camp horse. I think he may have been led with a rope a lot because he doesn't seem to want to go forward or turn good when I tried riding him unless someone is out front having him follow :(

Does anyone have any suggestions?

He does need a dental, but I can't imagine that would prevent him from responding to turn and go.

GottaRide 12-23-2007 08:24 AM

Give us some more information please...
How long have you had him? Did you ride him prior to buying him? What bit are you using? What saddle are you using? Do you have other horses around? Does he give you troubles in an arena or out on the trails?

Vidaloco 12-23-2007 08:41 AM

Is this Wilbur? If he was a camp horse he may have spent a lot of time being led and never been taught or just forgot any cues. You may want to enlist some help and have someone lead him while you give verbal/hand/leg cues. Hopefully he will put it all together. If not you may have to go back to basics on groundwork. I start with a verbal "kiss" then hands forward then leg pressure for forward movement. I always "tsk" or "kiss" to walk out even on a lead rope so hopefully they will transfer that sound to the same thing when under saddle. I know he is new to you so hope you will get lots of suggestions from other folks to help you out. :)

jazzyrider 12-23-2007 05:43 PM

i agree with vida about the kissing sound in conjunction with leg aids. most horses respond extremely well to the kissing sound by itself so use that as an association technique to get him to understand. i use the kissing sound most of the time unless im doing flatwork and i dont want my horse to always need it cause thats kinda frowned upon in a show ring

Dave 12-23-2007 06:05 PM

camp horse

Hey sounds like my mustang mare had been doing she was being used as a trail horse for a few years till i went and brought her home and she got where she didnt want to go or turn when leaveing the barn or house so i started working her on the ground manners then put my wife up on her mustang gelding and we put a light string from the tail of her horse to my mares bridle and she went right down the road like it was no big deal. so we worked her that way for a few days and then started just putting him in front of her . as we did it more she just took hold and now does a real good job she acks like the horase i gentles 10 yrs ago now just stay steady and not get angary with her it will take some time, but she will come3 around Dave

buckaroo2010 12-23-2007 06:16 PM

yeah i also agree with Vida :) :) :) She always has good information :)

Vidaloco 12-23-2007 06:19 PM

NO kissing in the show ring? Well :P :P :P :P guess I'm glad I don't show :wink:

jazzyrider 12-23-2007 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco
NO kissing in the show ring? Well :P :P :P :P guess I'm glad I don't show :wink:

lol i dont think its a rule but i also think it would be frowned upon as its your aids that are supposed to get the horse to do what you want :)

i havent shown for years but i used to have issues controlling it during a test :P i use it for almost everything :)