The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

my horse has lumps?

6K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Harlee rides horses 
#1 ·
When i went to see my horses this morning, my dad went to rug up my 16.3 and found he had 2 largeish lumps on his belly.They are postitioned just behind his front legs roughyl where the girth line is. I've had him for a year and a half and this is the first time i've noticed it. I have rubbed my hand over them to see if they were sore and they dont appear to cause him any discomfort. They are fairly hard, can anyone tell me what they are or if there horse gets them?
thanks x

#6 ·
You should definantly call the vet. If they are just hard and aren't big, but yet noticabe and they don't have any heat it may be your girth..I know that sounds stupid, but my first pony had to have a padded extra wide girth to distribute the pressure other words he got hard bumps it was really weird..well I hope its nothing serious!!! Good luck

#8 ·
Haha, actually thank you for posting this. It happened to my horse a few months ago and even after it went away I was still wondering exactly what it was. Nice to know it happens to other people (not in a mean way of course).

The vet couldn't be sure but she said it was nothing to really stress about. She had a list of possibilities, and she said since it was directly beneath the girth, it could just be swelling due to some sort of bacterial infection or something of the like. She said it might also be as benign as a simple goose-egg you might get if someone hit you really hard.

She said the only way to know for sure would be for me to monitor it over the next week and tell her everything I observe.

Well, it didn't matter because I cold hosed it everyday after riding and it wen't away before the week was up.

Not saying you should put it out of mind though. I'd start by calling your vet. They might have an answer for you over the phone if they've dealt with it before.

#9 ·
It could be sacroids. A sacroid is usually a benign growth. They usually aren't life threatening and can be caused by certain medications. Grey horses like my old arab seem to get them a lot. My buckskin Buddy has one on his back leg that appeared after I treated him with antibiotics. Most of the time it is best just to watch the sacroid and leave it alone. Unless like in your case it will interfere with tack then it will have to be removed by a vet.

#10 ·
My mare would get the lumps also, usually once a year and in different places each time. The first time she got them, I had them tested by the vet and they turned out to be some kind of benign growth. We would give her a two week treatment of a cortisone powder in her feed and this shrank them everytime.

Might not be the same thing, but worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.