The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   stirrup safety question (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/stirrup-safety-question-48871/)

tealamutt 02-26-2010 02:23 AM

stirrup safety question

So, when I started riding last fall, I bought peacocks since I was still fairly inexperienced with riding and wanted to be safe. Now, I'm going to be starting jumping lessons soon and want to know if these are safe to jump with. I know I can ask my trainer this question, but I don't have a lesson for several days and need to order some things online anyway so thought I'd get some new irons if I need them. Any input is appreciated!

ChingazMyBoy 02-26-2010 02:59 AM

I jump with them, I've never had a problem. Actually the reason I brought them WAS to jump with them.

flamingauburnmustang 02-26-2010 05:25 PM

Those are actually nice for jumping, because in case you fall off while jumping, and your horse takes off, then at least you won't be dragged off to the other side of the field. So yes, they are safe for jumping.

For me though, the rubber thingies on my safety stirrups are wearing away, and now they come off to easily, especially with jumping. So when I have the money I'm going to replace my safety stirrups with normal stirrups.

But that is completely up to you. :wink:

ChingazMyBoy 02-26-2010 11:29 PM

Mine haven't worn away, are your's good quality ones?

Dartanion 02-27-2010 12:27 AM

Safetyzzz should be fine to jump in. Like previously stated it's nice to know you won't get dragged. However if you plan on showing I would just get 'normal' iorns.

tealamutt 02-27-2010 01:31 AM

Thanks for the info ladies! Nope, no showing for us, we're both too old. Well maybe a schooling show next year but I can borrow some irons if we decide to do that. In the meantime, we'll stick with our safety irons!

flamingauburnmustang 02-27-2010 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChingazMyBoy (Post 564558)
Mine haven't worn away, are your's good quality ones?

I'm not sure if they are good quality, but I've had mine for 5 years and the rubber is getting really brittle, so they probably weren't great quality... :mrgreen:

ChingazMyBoy 02-27-2010 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamingauburnmustang (Post 564664)
I'm not sure if they are good quality, but I've had mine for 5 years and the rubber is getting really brittle, so they probably weren't great quality... :mrgreen:

Yeah maybe, you can just get new bands, you don't need the whole new stirrup :D

maura 02-27-2010 09:39 AM

Exactly. The rubber bands do get brittle and dryrotted; and then you just replace the bands. I used to keep a stash of fresh new ones in a drawer in the tack room when I had lots of younger students/boarders on ponies.

tealamutt 02-27-2010 02:20 PM

P.S. on the subject of bands (as some have posted above), they are extremely cheap to replace, I have a stash in my tack trunk and they run around $1 for a new pair.