The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/)
-   -   Tropical Fish (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/tropical-fish-48886/)

My2Geldings 02-26-2010 11:29 AM

Tropical Fish

I ventured away in the fish forum, but how many fish owners do we have here, particularly tropical fish?

themacpack 02-26-2010 02:15 PM

I suffer chronic (perhaps terminal) MTS - aka Multiple Tank Syndrom. However, it has been in remission for the last three years, lol. Right now the only fish we have are the ones out in our stocked pond.
Prior to this latest dry spell we had as many as seven tanks up and running at one time. I have been eyeballing a tank for a while now, so it's only a matter of time before I relapse.

What kind(s) do you keep?

My2Geldings 02-27-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 564181)
I suffer chronic (perhaps terminal) MTS - aka Multiple Tank Syndrom. However, it has been in remission for the last three years, lol. Right now the only fish we have are the ones out in our stocked pond.
Prior to this latest dry spell we had as many as seven tanks up and running at one time. I have been eyeballing a tank for a while now, so it's only a matter of time before I relapse.

What kind(s) do you keep?

Waw that's incredible! We want to start up a Salt Water tank and have a reef. They are absolutely gorgeous. the most beautiful things I have ever seen!

Well right now, my honey and I have been eyeing a couple tanks as well. We aren't sure what to do because what we get, we will have to move when we move into our house (next spring/summer). We have been eyeing a few tanks, the one below is one of them:
Oceanic 72 Gallon Bow Front Black Aquarium Ensemble - Large Aquariums - Aquariums - PetSmart

Again because we are going to be moving in the coming year, I'm really considering taking on a small tank.

Cheshire 03-07-2010 12:20 PM

Good luck with the reef. I've been debating about setting up a pico reef, or a cold water tide pool biotope with lots of bivalves and snails.

Right now I just have a planted fw 10g, Otto the betta lives there. MTS will likely strike again...I had multiple tropical tanks for years. Mostly planted biotopes (I have a thing for those, heh). Had an ancient oscar as well that passed away last year.

Carleen 03-07-2010 02:28 PM

I used to have a bunch; I don't know what all of the breeds were but I know we had a few Clown Loaches. I gave them to my little cousin (who's now 4) and now I just have a little bowl with a goldfish in it, haha.

Lis 03-07-2010 03:19 PM

I have a relatively large Buenos Aires Tetra who's on his own because he's a cannibalistic bugger! Should have called him Hannibal instead of Vinegar. I love Tropicals, my favourites are the male Siamese Fighting Fish, we've had the blues, the reds, the purples and every other colour they come in.

Brighteyes 03-07-2010 03:41 PM

I use to do reef tanks. I had a 35 hexagon with power compacts which I kept softies in. Colt coral, mushrooms, various polyps, bubble coral, and one piece of green opened brain. It was a small talk, so I didn't keep many fish; a maroon clown, bicolor blenny, two hawk fish... At one time I had an eel and a lionfish. The lionfish died of ich and I traded the eel in for a really nice peice of live rock. (Darn eel eat everything anyway!)

I kept seahorses too. Common hippocampus and dwarfs. I really enjoyed them; very fun to watch, but HARD to care for.

Currently, I am working on an Amazon Biotope. So far, I only have six cardinal tetras and two cory cats, but I plan to add in some bleeding hearts and hatchetfish. :D

PaintsPwn 03-07-2010 06:28 PM

I have 7 tanks - one of them is for turtles but eeeh. Sometimes there are fish in it. Not for long. LOL!

I have my cichlid tank which has... 6 angel fish (4 pearlscales, 2 viels - koi coloration).. 2 Blood Parrot Cichlids and 3 killifish. They get along really well. I also have dwarf indian puffers in one tank. I never seen them eat, but apparently they are. No sails and they don't die. I have in with them 1 neon tetra (last of a school), and 6 feeder guppies. They were too cute, I couldn't sacrifice them as turtle foods - except the deformed ones. They became food. Other than that, it's bettas.

Wallaby 03-07-2010 07:25 PM

I love tropical fish! I also suffer from MTS. Haha
I have three goldfish, one rubbernose pleco and an apple snail in my thirty gallon tank (I'll be upgrading to a 50, or more, in a few months since the tank is basically marginally overstocked right now since it's really only big enough for 3 goldies with nothing else). Then I have a 5 female betta sorority in my 23 gallon half hex tank with 6 False Juli cories and then I have a ten gallon housing my male betta.
Out of all my tanks, my goldfish tank is my favorite. The goldies are so much more personable than any other fish I've had and all of mine have some sort of mild disability which makes them extra interesting. Heehee

My2Geldings 03-08-2010 07:51 PM

That is so awesome guys. Would love to see what you guys are collecting and keeping. Must be so neat to see evolve and grow.

I am still making up my mind as to what tank to get and what to grow, but the idea of growing such a magical world in a small tank, just amazes me.

Love to see pics guys.