The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Cross Country (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/cross-country-48888/)

Five Furlongs 02-26-2010 12:12 PM

Cross Country

I have recently learned that open front jump boots are not good for going cross country. I understand why but my sister has just bought a new pair of open fronts she plans on using for eventing. I told her the new info i learned but she doesn't think that it will make a difference because she will only be jumping between 2 foot and 2 6. Will her horse be okay in this sized jump with open fronts or should i really try to convince her to get full coverage boots? Thanks!

Hoofprints in the Sand 02-26-2010 12:16 PM

To me, a jump is a jump is a jump and I'd get closed fronts :-/ But maybe that's just my personal opinion. Sandie and I take on cross country with a full set of sport boots, and we were only jumping 6"-1' last year, Intro level. I am more the "better safe than sorry" type though! ;-)

Sammi 02-26-2010 12:22 PM

well me and my mare Lily... we very rarely use boots, half the time i am jumping her bareback so i want a little on her as possible... :smile:

Five Furlongs 02-26-2010 04:17 PM

Yea, i see your point. The safer the better. Hopefully ill be able to convince her, she can be stubborn haha. thanks

StormyBlues 02-26-2010 04:19 PM

NEVER EVER EVER EVER! Go out on a XC course without full coverage boots. Prsonally, I think it is unsafe and reckless. Those jumps are unforgiving, solid, inmovable obsicales, and when you hit them, it hurts. I would rather my horse's leg have as much coverage and protection on them when I run XC. I'm wearing a helmet nd chest protector, am I not? Open front boots are used for one thing, stadium jumping. Why? Because they are open fronted so the horse can feel when they hit or knock a pole, so they will be mor careful. XC jumps don't knock down, so what's the point in using a boot that won't protect your horse?

eventerdrew 02-26-2010 05:15 PM

I would never go on XC with open fronts. Stadium, yes (depending on the horse obviously) but not XC. It's just not that safe. Like I said on the other thread, It'd be like hitting your shin on a solid object with absolutely no protection. It can lame horses temporarily.

not good in my opinion. Brushing boots, every time.

MIEventer 02-26-2010 09:22 PM

Open Fronts really only belong in the Stadium Ring.

These boots were designed for Stadium only, for horses who are just starting to jump to teach them to respect the fences. When the horse hits the pole, it hurts...it seriously does hurt them, so they learn to tuck their legs up more, so that the next time, they wont hit the fence.

That is where the design of the open front comes from. So that the rider can protect the rest of the horses leg from being knocked or bumped or striked, while the open front allows the green horse to hit the fence, and learn to respect it.

So please tell me - how these boots are functional for the CC Course? These boots were never designed with CC in mind, they just are not capeable to protect the horses legs over solid obsticles that don't budge if your horse hits them. These boots are not capeable to do the job needed.

Besides, what is the point of open fronts - other than they being a fad?????

My question to those who like using these boots is - If your horse respects the fence as it is, then why need them? AND - if your horse does not respect the fences, then what business does your horse have, being out on the CC course in the first place??????

So - if your horse respects fences, then why need these useless boots aside from being a sheep, following the rest of the flock due to fad?

If your horse doesn't respect the fence, then fine - use these boots, they are valuable to your horses training.......but do so over stadum fences in the sand box, and do not step foot out on the cc course, until your horse learns to tuck accordingly.

Cougar 02-26-2010 09:38 PM

Thunk your sister hard in the shins with a broom handle then ask her if she'd like shin pads next time you do it. :p

If she's stubborn there isn't much you can do about it. Maybe bring it up with someone she highly respects and see what their opinion on the matter is.

MIEventer 02-26-2010 09:41 PM

LOL Cougar - ROFL! Thanks...now I have Dr Pepper up in my nose....

EventinginMI 02-26-2010 09:52 PM

Haha Cougar, I love your idea! =]
I think you're right, though. She's putting her horse at risk of lameness if she goes with the open fronts, too. I just got a new pad from statelinetack.com, and hence the catalog came with. There are some REALLY nice brushing boots for $9.99 on clearance- I can look them up online for you if you want me to.