The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   **Which Breed of Horse is Right for Me?** (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/%2A%2A-breed-horse-right-me-%2A%2A-4890/)

Ria 12-23-2007 06:46 PM

**Which Breed of Horse is Right for Me?**

Well, I may be looking into getting a new new horse within the next year or so. I want a horse that anybody above 13 years old can ride. I'd prefer a smaller horse if not even a pony, but nothing built heavily, they must have a lighter build and less substance than a Welsh Mountain Pony for example [working type] I want a horse/pony that I can go trail riding with, endurance ride with, and train little tricks with. I need a horse/pony that is not very stubborn and mellow tempered.

Sara 12-23-2007 07:12 PM

GRP gets my vote, just cause I think they are so darn cute:3 Beautiful ponies. Might look at morgans, morabs, quarabs, quarter horse...could see any of them filling that role.

Vidaloco 12-23-2007 07:13 PM

I'm not sure what part of the world you are in but I am very partial to my Rocky Mountain horse. They are smaller in build than a lot of other breeds and are very people friendly. They average 14-16h and are great trail horses.
If they aren't available you may want to look at a pony mix. I had a quarterhorse dartmoor pony mix that was a wonderful trail horse. Very sure footed and friendly.
Will this be your first horse?

Ria 12-23-2007 08:48 PM

No, I've owned 3 Quarter Horses, 1 POA, and 1 Welsh Pony cross.

Are there any breeds that really stand out in endurance riding also?

BluMagic 12-23-2007 09:10 PM

For endurance...I personally don't like them but there are Arabians. I'm not sure if you can mix calm/mellow/sweet with endurance. But idk lol

GallopAway 12-23-2007 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ria
No, I've owned 3 Quarter Horses, 1 POA, and 1 Welsh Pony cross.

Are there any breeds that really stand out in endurance riding also?

Arabs or Arab cross are usually good for endurance.

Ria 12-23-2007 09:14 PM

Okay, have any others done notably well against Arabians?

GallopAway 12-23-2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ria
Okay, have any others done notably well against Arabians?

I think it would really just come down to the specific horse. Any horse could be trained and conditioned to do it. I think alot of it just comes down to weather or not the horse has the atititude and what not to do it.

Ria 12-23-2007 10:14 PM

Okay thanks everyone. After doing some research on Endurance, it seems as if Morgans and Arabians dominate.

GallopAway 12-23-2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ria
Okay thanks everyone. After doing some research on Endurance, it seems as if Morgans and Arabians dominate.

http://www.foothill.net/tevis/WINHORSE.HTM

Haha, they do seem to. :wink: