The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Joint supplements? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/joint-supplements-48923/)

Indyhorse 02-26-2010 08:41 PM

Joint supplements?

In our continuing quest to solve my mare's on again off again limping issues! My vet has recommended that I start Freyja on a joint supplement. He didn't tell me what kind or specifically what supplement to give, and I see there are about a million on the market. What we are trying to target specifically is what my vet believes to be a combination of some shortened muscles/tendons due to years of hoof mismanagement, along with some resulting arthritis. He mentioned putting her on a routine injection called Legend, but also said it was quite $$$. He said it was worth first trying some supplementation and having Freyja seen by an equine chiropractor/bodyworker he suggested. I've got the appt. with the bodyworker set up, but as far as joint supplements, I'd like to get everyone's recommendation.

So what has worked out well for those of you that have horses with some arthritis?

MIEventer 02-26-2010 09:07 PM

If there is tendon and ligament issues, included with the joint issues - I would look at SmartPaks suppliments.

1st, I LOVE Smartpak Equine - they are fabulous to deal with, fabulous to do buisiness with and are quick to answer any questions you have educatedly.

I currently get through Smartpak Equine 4 suppliments, which they conveniently package up in the doses my horse needs *weight wise* for his daily feedings. I love how convenient everything is!

There are a few boarders at my barn who have the same issues with their horses as you do - Joint, Tendon and Ligamnet...and they swear by this product:

SmartFlex Repair Pellets - Horse Joint Supplements from SmartPak Equine

This is one of the 4 suppliments my guy has been on for a month now, because he injured his hock in January. I am quite pleased with the results!

With injections - I would go more towrads Adequan than Legend personally - and yes, it is expensive *the loading doses are*

The cost of Adequan *Which is cheaper than Legend* is $40 a bottle, and for the loading dose, you have to go with 1 bottle *which is one full injection* every 4 days.

So that's 7 bottles in a month for the loading dose - which comes out pretty pricey.

After the loading dose month is done, then you go to 1 bottle a month. It's the loading dose that killed me, my Husband said no way hosay.....

SO instead of Adequan, I went to Glucosamine IM which is $25 a bottle which lasts 12 months.

Indyhorse 02-26-2010 09:19 PM

Oh gosh, yeah the loading dose would drain my pockets too. I have an emergency fund set aside, but I need to hang on to that for potential emergency vet bills when she foals. Maybe glucosamine would be a better bet for me too. It's an IM injection? It's not directly injected to the joints (that's what the vet said was done with the Legend?)

The smartpak sounds interesting, I've seen several people mention it on here time to time. I might do a trial with that and see how she responds. It's been such a road of recovery with her, being babyhuge right now is putting so much more stress on her, she really didn't need it. It just sets all the work I've done with her so far back a good bit. :( And although I've not commented directly, I've kept an eye on the threads about your progress with Nelson since his injury. I'm glad to hear you have found something he is responding to well. I'll give it a try. Thanks so much!

MIEventer 02-26-2010 09:26 PM

Smartpak will ship you free samples, explain your predicament and they will ship accordingly to what see fits.

They sent me a weeks worth of my now products to ensure that my horse will take them, before purchase.

The Glucosamine is an IM injection - I'm quite happy with how it is working out thus far :)

Give Smartpak a shout :) I know they'll answer any questions you have - and may know other products that'll be more benefitial than what I suggested. Make sure you let them know she is pregnant :)

heyycutter 02-26-2010 09:46 PM

SmartPak's "SmartFlex Senior" is really good. it has everything, probios, vitamin C (or E i forgot) Glucosomine, chondrotin, HA, MSM, devils claw. and its affordable.

Indyhorse 02-26-2010 09:55 PM

Thanks guys, it sounds like that's the way to go. (and free samples are always good!) I'll look into the glucosamine injections too. Thanks bunches!

MIEventer 02-26-2010 09:59 PM

SmartFlex Senior has more in the ingredients than what her mare probobly needs.

Indyhorse 02-26-2010 10:05 PM

MIEventer, I'll speak to them directly and see what they think will suit her best or have them put together a custom package. She's only ten, just has had a hard life. Thanks again!

MIEventer 02-26-2010 10:10 PM

You are more than welcome! You wont be dissapointed :) I love Smartpak!!