The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   How do you get the mane shorter but keep it thick for W/P? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-do-you-get-mane-shorter-49000/)

Citrus 02-27-2010 07:19 PM

How do you get the mane shorter but keep it thick for W/P?

I know how to pull and band a mane but my friends used to call my horse "chemo pony" because he would lose most of his mane to my pulling antics... I was taught to back comb starting at the length you want the mane to be, then pull the longer hairs out. Can anyone tell me how to do this properly so my child's horse does not end up looking skimpy?

ridergirl23 02-27-2010 07:34 PM

i would jsut cut it with sissors

Honeysuga 02-27-2010 07:56 PM

If it is really thin, just use scissors. First cut it an inch or two LONGER than you want it, then section it and take each section between your fingers(your first and second) one or two inches from the bottom and with the scissors pointing almost straight up at the sky, snip the rest to prevent a horsey bowl cut, just don't get too carried away.

eventerdrew 02-27-2010 08:20 PM

I personally hate using scissors because it gives it too much of a straight edge. Not natural looking at all. I had this same problem with my TB mare as her mane was super thin but it needed to be pulled.

Solo Combs are the solution! They have a cutting action, but it looks like pulling. Natural look made easy! it's also really good for horses who despise having their manes pulled.

taylorjane17 07-15-2010 02:07 PM

if you have a stock horse (paint,QH, appy) cut it and band it. The straight, clean edge is what theyre looking for.

Alwaysbehind 07-15-2010 02:10 PM

I have an appy. He is follicley challenged. I use one of those combs with the razor in it to shorten his mane. It gives it the pulled look with out loosing any hairs.

Off to see if I can find an example.

Edit to add:

This is not the one I have but it is the same idea.

farmpony84 07-15-2010 04:11 PM

If you are going to cut, use the razor scissors (thinning scissors) not regular scissors.

farmpony84 07-15-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 692074)
I have an appy. He is follicley challenged. I use one of those combs with the razor in it to shorten his mane. It gives it the pulled look with out loosing any hairs.

Off to see if I can find an example.

Edit to add:

This is not the one I have but it is the same idea.

Mine looks like a pocket knife. This is a good idea too.

sorelhorse 07-15-2010 04:19 PM

let me just say, Most qh, paints cut the mane with scissors. simple as that. its also kinda the style to have them mane just straightly cut.

Icyred 07-15-2010 04:26 PM

You use scissors and cut VERTICALLY and not horizontal. That way you cut length but still keep that "natural" look to it.