The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Bathtime! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/bathtime-49010/)

Seahorseys 02-27-2010 08:20 PM

Bathtime!

Can I just say how excited that I am for Bathtime season to arrive? I can't wait to take Fri out and hose her down. She's starting to smell like a musty rag and I can't take masking over stinky horse smell and trying to quell the dust with spot cleanings much longer, haha. Her first good grooming session and bath of the season is going to take at least 2 hours I think...

Oh and while I'm thinking about it, I was wondering, I know that geldings need sheath cleanings on a semi routine basis, but do mares need any special attention when it comes to that area?

BackInTheSaddleAgain 02-27-2010 08:25 PM

I can't wait! I just got back from dropping my horse off with a trainer for two months. I was so embarrassed at how muddy she is... Until I got there and every horse on the property was the same way. Lol. It's such a mess outside. Everything is flooded.
Posted via Mobile Device

riccil0ve 02-28-2010 05:34 PM

I can't wait for bathtime either. My white and black mare is is mostly grayish/greenish/brownish and black. o_O

As far as girly parts, I rub the gunk out of my two girls every time I groom them. If it hasn't been done for awhile, I would wait until you can get some warm water and soap to loosen it up. Some mares don't like it, but a lot of them really enjoy it. Once you get it cleaned really good the first time, it's really easy to run your hand down there and rub the gunk out every few days. =]

[Hmm... think I can get any more 'really's in this post? Haha.]

Wallaby 02-28-2010 05:58 PM

Oh my goodness, I could not agree more! I love giving Lacey baths! Last summer she got a bath at least once a month (really about every 2-3 weeks) from about the first real "T-shirt day" until late September. It was wonderful! I'd bath her as soon as dirt actually came off of her when I groomed her. haha

I love clean horses. Especially since Lacey is white, I take great joy in having her glistening and perfectly white at all times. Heehee

She has started to shed too! I'm so insanely excited! :lol:

Seahorseys 03-01-2010 12:50 PM

**thanks for the advice ricci. I've been trying to boil water and put it in a thermos with me to help with the spot cleanings. I think she'll be sensitive to the water in that area, as when I brush the inside of her thigh she sometimes begins to lean over, like she's ticklish or something. I was looking at her in pasture and while all the parts of her that are white are clean, she looks grey and black. She must always sleep with the same hind leg tucked under her, because she's got a single yellow-green mark on her hock that needs some serious whitening shampoo. The days are getting longer and the weather is letting up, I'm gearing up for it, so tired of the hibernation season!

riccil0ve 03-01-2010 05:55 PM

Haha, I know what you mean. Ricci's legs are all completely white, at least they're supposed to be. Her lower legs are pretty much permanently stained an off-white, no matter how long I leave the whitening shampoo on. It's a very unfortunate part of owning an at least partly white horse. =]

Vidaloco 03-01-2010 06:18 PM

How funny! I saw this thread and thought A-HA I'm not the only one :lol:
Saro is so dirty I don't want to even attempt to brush her till I can get some water on her. I use a curry to knock off the major mud but she is filth from the head to tail. I even thought about using some of my water-less dog shampoo on her but it would take 10 bottles :shock:

Honeysuga 03-01-2010 07:36 PM

Hehe Vida, Ithought about the same thing for Tom when i had to buy waterless shampoo fro Deamon, looked at the bottle and was like "HMMMMM". I cant wait to give my little mud pony a bath and get the woolies off of him! Even more than Tom I want to get my soap on Satin and make her the white dream horse she is instead of the yellow thing she is now!

Pidge 03-01-2010 09:19 PM

Bath time shall be fun time! Romeo isnt bad. He gets the crap brushed out of him constantly and he has been rugged up 90% of the season...Bause is another story.

She is white but currently is somewhere between dark brown green and cheeto color...a cross of black dirt, manure, and red dirt. Thank goodness a nice bath is one thing my crazy mare does enjoy.

Honeysuga 03-02-2010 02:47 AM

I vote we start a "first bath of the season" thread! so we can see the lovely horses we haven't seen all winter! Wouldn't that be fun?