The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Show Looks!!?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/show-looks-49074/)

Rodeo Pro 02-28-2010 07:43 PM

Show Looks!!??

Sorry about all the new show posts i am just freaking out about Princess getting older and a more advanced show horse! :-P Any ways I just wanted to know what can I do to make Princess really catch the judges eye? She is a roan bay so it is hard to get a good shine on her. She has three black hooves and one white should I paint them clear or black? Any other tip would be very very appriciated. THANKS!:D

churumbeque 02-28-2010 07:53 PM

Black hooves should be painted black the white hoof should be scrubbed with steel wool and clear polish. Cornstarch before your class will whiten up her sock. Now certain breeds do not allow hoof polish

darkwillow 02-28-2010 07:56 PM

If you're not going to plait her, you should pull her mane. It looks neater than just cutting it, and then it makes it easier to plait. You could try horse makeup, but be really careful how you use it.

Rodeo Pro 02-28-2010 08:03 PM

By the way she is a quarter horse so it is allowed to have black hoof polish on her.

PaintsPwn 02-28-2010 08:27 PM

If you're going to paint one foot black, paint them ALL black. You'll hardly EVER see anyone just paint 1-3 feet black and leave the white feet white. It gives a minor detail, and makes the horse look more uniform.

ThatNinjaHorse 02-28-2010 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintsPwn (Post 566028)
If you're going to paint one foot black, paint them ALL black. You'll hardly EVER see anyone just paint 1-3 feet black and leave the white feet white. It gives a minor detail, and makes the horse look more uniform.

Agreed. It will make socks look brighter as well.

Not sure what you show in but here's what i do:
-Clip out white socks a few days before the show, as well as bridle path, any long hair around fetlocks, the hair that sticks out of ears etc.
- Use powder or chalk on socks
- hoof black
- Remove whiskers (some do, some are really against it)
- Apply baby oil on muzzle, around eyes, from the knee down on any dark legs, and whatevers left on the cloth over the ears.
- On horses that dont have much of a tail, i use a falsey. I also put a..tail oil? I cant remember exactly what its called, but you brush it in and it makes it extra shiney.
- Sometimes a show sheen on coat.
- If the class requires it, plait.

rocky pony 03-02-2010 01:18 AM

Lots of good tips so I won't repeat but I do want to emphasize that any body/leg clipping definitely does need to be done a few days in advance as it allows it to grow out slightly and look more natural (because when it is first clipped it will have clipping lines and look a little unnatural) while whiskers, bridle path, etc can be done more last minute so that they will be fresher and cleaner.

I'd also definitely make all of the hooves black.

This stuff is good for getting her as shiny as she can be:
Carr & Day & Martin® High Shine Ultimate Coat Finish sold by Eurofit, Equi-Imports - Breeches, Jackets, Shadbelly, Riding, Dressage, Equestrian at MySalino.com
and is great for both manes and tails. Definitely wouldn't put it under the saddle area though!
I've also heard some pretty good things about Pepi coat conditioner but haven't tried it myself as I'm not currently showing..

Good luck =)

ThatNinjaHorse 03-02-2010 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyxpony (Post 566991)
Definitely wouldn't put it under the saddle area though!

Yes! I learnt the hard way in a bareback class

rocky pony 03-02-2010 03:30 AM

^ Eek, does not sound fun!!

Oh and having just re-reread my post, I said it's good for both manes and tails, I meant to say both manes/tails and coats. Oops!

Rodeo Pro 03-08-2010 05:15 PM

Thanks that really helps! Also I have a flea bitten grey jumper with 4 white socks what color hoof polish would look best on him do you think?