The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   How Many Pets is Too Many?? (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/how-many-pets-too-many-49126/)

Lisa Rose 03-01-2010 05:17 PM

How Many Pets is Too Many??

New Animal Planet series

We are producing a new series for Animal Planet about people who own a lot of animals. We are currently looking for pet families of 15 or more!

Some brand them as “animal hoarders.” We want to get to know them as people. We want to experience the special relationship they have with their pets and understand why they do what they do. We also recognize that trying to care for too many animals can sometimes be overwhelming. There can be financial burdens, health issues, family conflicts, even the run-ins with authorities. We want to see how animal lovers - and their families - deal with these challenges.

We also want to offer help. We have the resources to provide free veterinary care, spaying and neutering, even food if required. We will not force anyone to do anything they don’t want to do. We will not report anyone to any authorities. If help is needed, we want to find solutions that work for everybody.

Our goal as TV producers is to tell true stories about people who are often misunderstood – and if we can, to address issues that are too often ignored. To learn more, contact us at realstories@petfamily.org – or call us at our toll free number: 1-877-MY8-PETS.

themacpack 03-01-2010 07:56 PM

I would hope that your program would differentiate between those with lots of pets and true animal hoarders -- the latter is a very serious situation and it would seem that responsible journalism would illustrate that.

Honeysuga 03-01-2010 08:03 PM

When will the show be starting? It sounds very interesting. I agree with Mac, there is a huge difference between hoarding and having lots of pets. Hoarding is a sickness and hoarders usually live in unhealthy conditions and are not able to care for the animals they hoard for some reason or another and the animals end up sick or abused. I have always had lots of pets but have never hoarded, definitely had more than 15 at a time! lol

My Beau 03-01-2010 09:43 PM

Too many is not a specific number. Too many is when the pets' health starts to suffer because the owner to provide for all of them. Too many is when inbreeding occurs because the owner can't keep track of them. Too many to one person might be 2 dogs, if they don't have a steady income to pay for everything that comes with ownership. Too many is hard to quantify, especially when it comes to farm type situations.

You say you won't report anyone to the authorities. But if you came across someone with a serious hoarding problem who was resistant to your help, I think since you're Animal Planet, you have a duty to report them to the authorities, rather than let the animals live in those conditions.

Lisa Rose 03-04-2010 02:10 PM

Hello Everyone,

I really appreciate all of your concern and responses. We are looking into all of your questions and making sure that we take this subject matter very seriously. We have been doing a mass amount of research and are working with experts in the field in order to take EACH situation accordingly. I hope that you can understand that we want to tell the story of the animal lover from their point of view because they are often misunderstood.

The show is to air in the next couple of months, although no specific date currently.

Thank you again,
Lisa

Speed Racer 03-04-2010 02:51 PM

When someone can no longer afford their animals but thinks no one else can or will look after them as well as they do, yet continues to add to their collection, is when they go from animal lover to hoarder.

Letting themselves and their animals live in filth and poverty, as well as not feeding them correctly or getting them the proper veterinary care, is what brands people as hoarders.

Hoarders have very little grasp on reality, and their animals need to be rehomed. The hoarders shouldn't be given a chance to continue to neglect their animals or add to their ranks.

Once the cameras have stopped rolling and the media people go away, the animals will go back to living in filth, squalor, and not being cared for properly.

Hoarders don't think their or their animals' lives are bad, so you coming in to 'save' them might not be appreciated.

I sincerely believe most hoarders are mentally ill, or at the very least incompetent at caring for themselves and others.

I'm not sure just what type of spin you're going to put on this program, but I'm not really liking the sound of it as it is.

Don't glamorize or sympathize with hoarders, please. Most of them shouldn't be allowed to own sea monkeys, much less larger life forms.

centrestableswendy 03-04-2010 02:57 PM

I have been doing rescue work for 15 years, and have been running my own small animal rescue for about 4 years. I have to agree with Speed Racer. I have mixed feelings about this show. What are the GOALS of it, and what do you want to see happen with it? I've dealt with many hoarders, and I can tell you now, it's NOT something that you can change just by turning on a camera for a few hours. I personally have over 23 animals in my home......does that make me a hoarder??? Most certainly NOT.

Speed Racer 03-04-2010 03:40 PM

Exactly, Wendy.

Having a sizable amount of animals does not make someone a hoarder.

As long as they're cared for properly, no one is going hungry, everyone is being taken care of medically, and everyone lives in a safe, clean environment, I'd hardly call that a hoarding situation.

I've already outlined what I consider hoarding in my previous post.