The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Waiting to back a horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/waiting-back-horse-4913/)

jofielder7 12-26-2007 01:02 AM

Waiting to back a horse?

I recently bought a two year old who will turn three in January. Because I just bought him and the previous owners didn't do any work with him (other than haltering, leading) I am thinking about starting with the basics (continue with leading and ground manners, and lunging) and waiting until almost his 4th year to start him under saddle. He came to me very underweight and not very well cared for. I am thinking he could benefit from 10-12 months of training to become stronger and really be ready. I'm wondering what the drawback to this would/could be. Thanks.

Rachluvshorses4eva 12-26-2007 02:08 AM

First of all, I would probably just feed him for at least a month, until he returns back to normal weight. Then after he returns back to normal weight, I would then start to train him in the things you have said you would do, keeping in mind to still feed him a little extra, becuase:
1.) The more you work a horse, the more you need to feed him. Although I'm sure he probably won't be doing THAT much work.
2.) He is probably still recovering, so just keep feeding him a little extra, just to make sure. :wink:

To me, health comes before work. So to put it in one sentence. Just get his health up before you start to work, train him etc.

Hope I helped! Please tell me your thoughts.

Rachluvshorses4eva :wink:

jazzyrider 12-26-2007 04:44 AM

Re: Waiting to back a horse?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jofielder7
I recently bought a two year old who will turn three in January. Because I just bought him and the previous owners didn't do any work with him (other than haltering, leading) I am thinking about starting with the basics (continue with leading and ground manners, and lunging) and waiting until almost his 4th year to start him under saddle. He came to me very underweight and not very well cared for. I am thinking he could benefit from 10-12 months of training to become stronger and really be ready. I'm wondering what the drawback to this would/could be. Thanks.

there shouldnt really be too many drawbacks waiting until four to break him. as long as you keep up with the groundwork and working on your relationship with him, you should be fine.

in conjunction with what was previously said, give your horse a chance to regain some weight and strength before you start working him much at all. i personally think its a great idea to make sure he is in the best possible shape before starting him under saddle.

good luck with him :)