The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   running braids for jumping?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/running-braids-jumping-49131/)

Ponies4Paige 03-01-2010 06:21 PM

running braids for jumping??

Im going to get into jumping soon with my 9 yr old qh and his mane is super short (mabey 6") and very thick.... i was wondering if i could do a running braid instead of buttons for shows....also i was wondering about having two running braids down the neck because his mane is soooo short. Any help or tips would be great :D

gypsygirl 03-01-2010 09:23 PM

idk i think that would be kinda weird...

i would just pull it & do hunter or button braids =]

MIEventer 03-01-2010 09:34 PM

You can do anything you want for Jumpers. Just make sure it is neat, tidy and respectable :)

With a mane that short, can you do Running Braids?

gypsygirl 03-01-2010 09:37 PM

i dont think so ...

darkwillow 03-01-2010 09:48 PM

you probably could, but it would involve a lot of hairgel...
You could try pulling it to make it thinner

MIEventer 03-01-2010 09:49 PM

If you are doing big shows, like Classics, or Medals - then I'd say Button Braid.

Majority don't even braid for most Jumper shows, you rarely see braids unless it is GP or Medals or the Classic.

There is no "In" or "out" in Jumpers - it is primarily about competition, period. Not whether the horse has Button Braids, Hunter Braids or a Running Braid. Most don't care whether you have a braided mane or not, it is about performance - and who cares what others think? Just leave the rails up and show them how to get it done :)

If you do a Running Braid, make sure it is clean, tidy and neat.

I personally - don't braid at all. I prefer to have mane to wrap my fingers around over fences, can't do that with braids.

eventerdrew 03-01-2010 10:42 PM

I've only seen a running braid on one horse in competition- a purebred Arabian. A person that I used to ride with had an Arabian mare that she evented and she looked horrid with a short mane. So, she just did a running braid after she grew it out.

I wouldn't recommend trying it with that short of a mane. I would chop a couple of inches off and do some buttons. Or not at all if you are doing jumpers as it doesn't really matter.

I'm with MIE- I like something to grab ahold of in those "holy s***" moments :lol:

MIEventer 03-01-2010 10:45 PM

Yeah, personally for Jumpers - I don't braid at all. Heck, when I event, I don't braid. I do all 3 phases with a free flowing mane :)

~*~anebel~*~ 03-01-2010 11:21 PM

I braid for everything lol.
But, if you are intent on not braiding, then please make sure you have pulled that mane and it is tidy! Unless you are showing in a breed show, or have a fresian, morgan, arab, etc.. running braids, unless done very well, are sloppy looking and can be tacky. I showed a QH mare with a mane that covered her neck and the owner did not want it shortened and you bet I was at the show at 5AM sewing that mane into tidy buttons.
It is disrespectful to show up looking sloppy. Show organizers, judges and other competitors have put a lot of money and time into showing. We all need to respect that by showing up looking our best.

Good luck!

Amir 03-02-2010 12:53 AM

A thick mane that short won't hold a running braid. I tried it on a friends standy for a show last year and it fell out as soon as he moved his head.
Just pull it to make it look neat and then you can leave it.