The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   PUMPED for show season! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/pumped-show-season-49139/)

nirvana 03-01-2010 08:57 PM

PUMPED for show season!

Im super excited. Anybody elses?:D Unforunatly show season is months away here in Canada.

Im very excited because this will be my first year of showing. I have done one or two shows before, but this will be my first competitive year. My barn has decided to create a show team this year. It will probably all be hunter, and hunter/jumper but Im hoping to eventualy to do show jumping.

So who else is showing this year? Tell us all about it. Im very excited and have ran out of horsey friends to discuss it with. lol.:wink:

darkwillow 03-01-2010 09:04 PM

Hey

Yeah the show season has well and truly started here in Australia. Okay, so it would, if all this rain would go away.
This is my first official year of competing. I've just gotten an aussie stockhorse mare named Isabelle, so I'm pretty much set.
I prefer to focus on showjumping, because it's as precise as dressage, but I get to jump as well. I'm sticking to competing in hunter trials and one day events so far, and my arabian will be assigned back to his favourite: sporting.
That's pretty much it
Cheers

nirvana 03-01-2010 09:08 PM

Awww thats awesome! How long is the show season in Australia? It must be nice not to deal with ice and snow. lol

darkwillow 03-01-2010 09:27 PM

ha! only drought and rain and rising flood waters!! I'd love to ride in the snow.
The show season here runs from late February to early November. That's...let me think...late summer, through autumn, winter and finishes late-ish spring. It gets too hot in the summer to compete. Unfortunately that means competing over shorter days in the winter. And frost. And rugging. Ah well, it's all good fun.
What's it like in Canada?? I know you have snow and ice (hence the Winter Olympics!). Do you do shows differently?? Are the events the same?? Here a gymkhana is sporting and a rider class and a top score class, and we're all divided by age. Is that how you do it???

nirvana 03-01-2010 09:39 PM

Canada is actualy quite diverse conditions depending on where you go. for example BC (where the olympics were held) it is on the mild side because of the ocean, but here in Ontario most years we get enough freezing rain to skate on the road. lol (its quite fun) This year has been quite mild compared to most though, but we just finished getting 3-4 days of snow straight. A total of 6 vehicls got stuck in my laneway. lol

I havent done alot of showing, but most shows are organised by experience as opposed to age here. Although there are age limits on some things. My first show away from the barn was called the rising star show. There was a class for anyone who was there for their first show. the second class was all for horses first show(green horse-experienced rider).

darkwillow 03-01-2010 09:42 PM

That would be so much better. Here its age, and in my classes (when i did sporting) I had all the state champions. It sucked. How can you win against a state champion?? Ah well, now I'm doing eventing, so hopefully I'll have more luck. Isabelle and i did our first dressage comp, 2 weeks after I got her, and we came third! Hoping we can do even better this year

nirvana 03-01-2010 09:51 PM

Ya thats quite interesting that they do it by age. Here its by height of fences and what not. Good luck this year!

As for summer here we get between 20-25 degrees celcius. But we do ocasionaly get up to 30. The past 2 years have been quite rainy summers. Its alway realy humid.Depending on where you go in Canada such as Ontario in a years span you get to feel -30 to +30 degrees. I dont mind snow for the first couple months (depending on the type of snow, if its hard yet sinky its painfull for the horse). After 4-5 months it get annoying.

Ya its sounds like summers do get very hot their. My friend had a friend visit from Australia, and he said it was 40 degrees that day! I cat possibly imagine that heat! The poor guy froze because we took him on a wagon ride on a day we would call mild.

nirvana 03-01-2010 09:56 PM

That doesn't seem very fair to judge by age. Espesialy for those like me who didn't get the opportuinity till age 12.

darkwillow 03-01-2010 10:24 PM

yeah i know its not really fair, that's why i swapped over to eventing because they do it by height and experience rather than age (Thank God!!) It gets pretty hot here in the summer - there was a point where the weather was high 30's for about a week!. Three cheers for air conditioning!!
The snow would get annoying. I guess it's like the rain here - great for the first two days, not so great after that. At the moment, we're into our fourth day of constant rain, and I've had to move my geldings in with the mares because the geldings' paddock flooded :(

nirvana 03-01-2010 10:27 PM

awww that sucks. the grass always seems to be greener on the otherside doesnt it?!