The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How much is this pony worth? What do you think? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-much-pony-worth-what-do-49150/)

Nature2horses 03-01-2010 09:21 PM

How much is this pony worth? What do you think?

How much would a:
-registered section A welsh mountain pony
- black
-gelding
-11.3hh
-white blaze
-great conformation
- 4 years old
- jumps 2'3
- has show experience=champion in x-rails and halter
-bombproof
-good on trails
-good for kids
-able to go into river with rider
-good for bareback
-collects
-can go western or english

This is a really flashy pony with both its sire and dam being champions. It has been a champion in shows itself and is extremely well-trained four-year-old

***if you really need pictures I'll add them

***he'd be between 4.5-5 when he is sold

White Foot 03-01-2010 09:24 PM

So a four year old horse can do all that? I would question the horses health. 0_0 3 and 4 is usually when they start.

kitten_Val 03-01-2010 09:36 PM

I agree with White Foot. At just 4 years old... I wonder WHEN he was started (and HOW his joints will hold on).

Nature2horses 03-01-2010 09:39 PM

He would be started at 3.5-4 years old. At 3 -3.5 I would start building his muscles (no lunging yet because that is hard on the joints)

MacabreMikolaj 03-01-2010 09:44 PM

If it could actually be accomplished in a year or so, he'd be worth a pretty penny. Being a champion at a crossrail class isn't going to amount to much - any horse can do that. The most important things would be for him to be a bombproof childs pony and a pro in the showring, and a lot of people aren't going to believe you can get a 4 year old pony with those traits.

At 11.3hh he would be shown by a VERY small and VERY young child. The child that can really ride would probably be looking at a more expensive, more well trained pony and the child that can't ride probably won't be interested in a young pony that needs more training.

In my area? I live in Canada, and you could easily get upwards of $5,000 for him most likely. However, we have not experience the recession here as the US has, and you can still get $2,000 for a well trained trail horse.

kitten_Val 03-01-2010 09:47 PM

Personally I'd never buy 4 year old 11 hh jumping 2+ feet. Because I have no idea how the joints will go in long run. I think horses should not be jumped until at least 5 years old, better 6 (well, I don't mind some free jumps though). But it's just me.

kitten_Val 03-01-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj (Post 566840)
In my area? I live in Canada, and you could easily get upwards of $5,000 for him most likely. However, we have not experience the recession here as the US has, and you can still get $2,000 for a well trained trail horse.

Hmmm.... May be I have to move to Canada. LoL!

LoveTheSaddlebreds 03-02-2010 06:03 PM

ummm horses can be started at two years...

LoveTheSaddlebreds 03-02-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 566843)
Personally I'd never buy 4 year old 11 hh jumping 2+ feet. Because I have no idea how the joints will go in long run. I think horses should not be jumped until at least 5 years old, better 6 (well, I don't mind some free jumps though). But it's just me.

I started jumping my mare at four -the standard age to start jumping- and She was doin 2'3" by the end of her four year old year. and 2'9" at five and 3'3" at six. And she's as sound as anything. My trainer is also a vet and checks her often and wouldnt let me do anything that isnt safe for her. And thoroughbreds can be jumped at three cause they grow up faster. But an average horse can start jumping at four. nothing wrong with it. ;)

ridergirl23 03-02-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveTheSaddlebreds (Post 567491)
ummm horses can be started at two years...

they CAN, heck, you could start them at 1 if you could get on them, but its not that good for a ponies (they dont fully mature as fast as horses) joints to be jumping 2'3 at 4 years old :)

well... im not sure a 4 year old PONY (those little buggers are usually moody as saiten!!! lol) is very good to be sold to a kid...... Im not sure about where you live, but ANY pony that has a fantastic tempermant, no matter what they can do, is worth his weight in gold and more, haha.