The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Does anyone clip their weanlings around this time? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/does-anyone-clip-their-weanlings-around-49152/)

Piaffe 03-01-2010 09:57 PM

Does anyone clip their weanlings around this time?

My 10 month old filly has an extrememly long baby coat. It is getting matted around her neck,forearms and belly. Would it be okay to have her clipped if I keep her blanketed? Does anyone here clip their foals? Any tips? Thanks:D

PaintsPwn 03-01-2010 10:31 PM

Hmmmmm clipping her now might mess up her shedding schedule. You could perhaps trim it?

Piaffe 03-01-2010 10:36 PM

oh...o.k...she just has huge matts on her neck and i have tried brushing them out with a plastic curry,but they won't budge :( they just make her look really dirty all the time..lol...but oh well.. when is the soonest clipping is ok?

PaintsPwn 03-01-2010 10:40 PM

Spring's just around the corner - you won't have to clip her when she sheds. But if you wanted to clip the mats out, it should be OK.

Honeysuga 03-02-2010 04:42 AM

Clipping a horse in no way affects its shedding cycle, just as cutting a mane does not make it grow faster or thicker, that is just myth.

The only thing that changes the shedding cycle is light. Once the winter coat is in place nothing will change it but light(aka seasonal changes). If you clip it it looks shorter but the hair is still there and sheds out like normal it just seems like there is less because you clipped most of it off.

If you want to clip, clip you wont be hurting anything or affecting any cycles.

CheyAut 03-02-2010 08:32 AM

I'd clip out the mats. I do end up clipping my yearlings in the summer, mini yearlings like to hang on to their immense coat even in the 110 degree weather lol! But I wouldn't do a body clip now as I hate to have to blanket if it's not necessary.

Indyhorse 03-03-2010 12:28 PM

I can sympathize. My 11 month old colt has horrible matted in mud patches (he has a thing for rolling whenever the snow melts enough in the first mudhole he can find) I have thought a time or two about clipping, but ultimately decided I'm better off just sponging the mud off best I can and waiting for his spring shed to get here. Shouldn't be too much longer!

LadyDreamer 03-03-2010 02:05 PM

I wouldn't do a total body clip on her, but it won't hurt her to have the mats cut out. Just make sure she is okay with the clippers. Even though they are little, getting cow kicked by a weanling because they object to you touching their belly with a loud tickly thing still hurts....

westerngal 03-03-2010 02:18 PM

yea i agree with everyone else. just like clip the matted hair out. i dont have foals but my trainer has a pony and she is real sensitive and we have to clip her, and we just put a blanket on her.

Piaffe 03-03-2010 06:24 PM

thanks for the advice! i will just clip the matts then and keep her blanketed for now.