The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Odd behaviour - statement? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/odd-behaviour-statement-49195/)

newhorsemom 03-02-2010 12:52 PM

Odd behaviour - statement?

I think our mare is making a statement regarding her salt. She will often urinate or defecate on it. We had loose salt in a tub hanging in the corner of her stall and she was able to pee in it and after a couple of times of that we got a 50lb brick so that we could wash it off. When she pees on that we rinse it off really well and put it back in her stall. The other day I found a big 'ol pile on it (gross!) so now I have a small brick in a cage hanging too high for her to destroy and that is working. How weird is this?!

Any ideas as to what Lily is telling me?

justsambam08 03-02-2010 03:54 PM

Where are you putting it? It might just be conveniently located in her pee spot, or she could just be the very rare messy mare.

In my boys stall, he pees in the exact center, and his salt block is located up near the front, next to his feed bin.

newhorsemom 03-02-2010 09:48 PM

I'm certain that it isn't the placement of the salt as Lily only pees in one area of her stall, unless she goes on her salt. She isn't very tidy when she does her "business" but her aim was so good the other day that I can't help but think it's intentional. :shock: Maybe she is just a little bit of a freak...

PechosGoldenChance 03-03-2010 02:00 PM

I hate it when horses poop in their feed/water buckets lol. Obviously it's not their fault because they don't really know it. My friend had this huge Sweedish Warmblood and his butt would tower over his feed bucket and he'd poo in it. I've never heard of a horse intentionally peeing/pooping in their feed bucket because they didn't like something, but every horse has it's own personality, so I'm not going to doubt that your's is pooping/peeing in it on purpose. lol But good luck with all that my dear! :D

Walkamile 03-03-2010 02:09 PM

LOL! Sorry don't mean to laugh, but I gotta admire her aim!

My gelding , Walka, will do this to his mother's feed dish (I feed on the ground in large feed dishes, his is just outside the stall, hers is in the stall). I know he pees or poos in it for something to do. Just to darn smart for his own good and he wants me to see it to ! Mind you he has never done this in his feed dish! Maybe she's just plain bored and it's a game to her (?).

Indyhorse 03-03-2010 09:43 PM

Couldn't really say but it seems an awful lot for coincidence, especially if she is otherwise tidy. Does she make use of the salt block at other times? My mare is disgusting in her stall. I clean poo out of her water bucket at least a couple times a week. She has a block in a cage at head level on the stall wall, and she she has a go at the salt every other day or so. But if I had a big block on the stall floor I'd certainly find it covered with grossness on a regular basis. I keep big blocks in the pastures, and little wall mounted blocks in the stalls.