The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse bites! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-bites-49218/)

Ray MacDonald 03-02-2010 05:59 PM

Horse bites!

My gelding, Duckie, always wants to bite everyone!
Any ideas on how to make him stop?
Hitting him only makes him worse!
I really need this to stop! He'll do it randomly like when he's in his stall, cross ties and out in the pasture, also when tightening the girth (I try to do it slowly so it wont hurt him) The vet checked him out not that long ago.

He's been doing it since we bought him, only a little bit but gotten much worse!

charlicata 03-02-2010 06:03 PM

I've been lucky enough not to have this problem, but you might try one of the grazing muzzles on him. That would keep him from taking a hunk out of you.

COQtrhorseman 03-02-2010 06:31 PM

I keep a small crop with me when I walk the young weanlings/yearlings that like to bite or nip. When they reach for me I give them a short, quick firm but not hard whack on the chest, never the head. It's more of an attention getter than anything and they learn to associate it with their bite and quit. The crop is just used as an extention of my arm.

Vidaloco 03-02-2010 06:45 PM

If you give treats, never ever give them to this horse by hand. I have a youngin that likes to nibble on me. If I don't give her treats or have them in my pockets she stops. I personally take it as a sign of disrespect when a horse bites. The best thing you can do in that instant is make them move. Don't attempt to smack them, rather do as another horse would do in the same situation and that is to make them move away from you.
If you have the time, set up a situation where you know he is going to bite and be prepared. Have a whip or just your hands. raise your hands above your head and walk at him shouting and making a back away gesture with your hands. Do it several times. Then always be aware that he may bite and do the "I'm bigger than you get away" act. It won't be long before he figures out your the lead mare and won't take being nipped.

justsambam08 03-02-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 567526)
The best thing you can do in that instant is make them move. Don't attempt to smack them, rather do as another horse would do in the same situation and that is to make them move away from you.
If you have the time, set up a situation where you know he is going to bite and be prepared. Have a whip or just your hands. raise your hands above your head and walk at him shouting and making a back away gesture with your hands. Do it several times. Then always be aware that he may bite and do the "I'm bigger than you get away" act. It won't be long before he figures out your the lead mare and won't take being nipped.

Completely agree. It works every time for my guy.

mystikal222 03-02-2010 07:45 PM

A friend told me she got her horse to stop bitting by bitting back! LOL I dont know personaly if this works but she bit him on the nose and said he never bit her again....I would not recommend the nose to bite-if the head came up you would be in a lot of pain but...its something to consider I suppose.

Marecare 03-02-2010 08:13 PM

Mine bit me too!

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...OHNOESBITE.jpg

Vidaloco 03-02-2010 08:16 PM

You crack me up Marecare :lol: one of these days that horse is going to bite down ;-)

Marecare 03-02-2010 08:26 PM

Oh why would he do that?...He loves me!

Besides,I taste bad...Ha!

RiosDad 03-02-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COQtrhorseman (Post 567514)
I keep a small crop with me when I walk the young weanlings/yearlings that like to bite or nip. When they reach for me I give them a short, quick firm but not hard whack on the chest, never the head. It's more of an attention getter than anything and they learn to associate it with their bite and quit. The crop is just used as an extention of my arm.

I deal with alot of young studs that love to bite. I hit them hard right in the chops with anything I have in my hands, brush, hoof pick , elbow and right in the mouth as hard as possible. In a few weeks they give up the habit and are not head shy. They know why they are being hit. Hitting on the chest gently does nothing. One young guy grabbed my dad by the shirt as he walked by. He had a gallon steel measure in his hand and hit him over the head as hard as he possibley could. He never bit again.
Hit him hard as possible and do it as his head snakes out, not after the fact.