The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Need How to advice on bathing an Arab :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/need-how-advice-bathing-arab-49263/)

Bakkir 03-03-2010 10:15 AM

Need How to advice on bathing an Arab :)

Bakkir is my first Arabian and I know that they are groomed differently from other breeds. While I really don't need to keep him ready to show, I love a clean horse and well he is grey horse.

So I would love to hear grooming tips from the Arab people here.

I have no idea how well he bathes, but I am expecting a fuss to be made. Right now he stands quietly to be groomed and handled. But I haven't tried clipping him yet - lol!

I would also love to know how to do a good running braid.

Speed Racer 03-03-2010 10:24 AM

I've had Arabians for over 30 years and I wasn't aware they're groomed differently than other breeds. :?

They get brushed, bathed, and clipped the same as any other beastie, so I'm not sure what you're asking.

If you want to keep him 'show clipped', you'll have to do the insides of his ears, his muzzle, any long facial hairs, his fetlocks, the hair on his coronet bands, and a fairly long halter path, also known as a bridle path. Except for the longer than normal halter path, all the other breeds do the same thing.

Show clipping for winter is different because it involves body clipping, and depends on what discipline you ride.

Arabians are just horses, dear. There's nothing truly different about their grooming, clipping or bathing than other breeds.

I have a fleabitten grey. If you want them to be as bright and clean as possible, use QuicSilver. It's kind of pricey though, and I only use it every so often. Most of the time my horses get bathed with Suave shampoo.

Bakkir 03-03-2010 11:38 AM

I know horses are horses and elbow grease is the way to keep a horse clean, shiny and healthy.

He is my 6th horse - but my first soon to be white one!

Hmmm, I have been told that there is a difference is grooming an Arab. Maybe its just for showing?

Thanks for the tip on QuicSilver. I will try it. Vetrolin is not really working for him. He like to use his manure as a pillow.

Speed Racer 03-03-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bakkir (Post 568051)
He like to use his manure as a pillow.

It must be a grey horse thing, because Casper does the exact same thing! :lol:

Does the bay or chestnut lay in their poo? No. Just the grey!

Alwaysbehind 03-03-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 568183)
It must be a grey horse thing, because Casper does the exact same thing! :lol:

Does the bay or chestnut lay in their poo? No. Just the grey!

The one good thing about having a buckskin, manure spots do not show.

I will second the quicksilver idea. It works great on white legs.

RegalCharm 03-03-2010 03:17 PM

arabians are the same as any other horse with
washing. LOL. some like it some don't.

you might try using a vacuum between baths
it gets the loose hairs and the dirt.

for the green spots, apple cider vinegar works good.

mls 03-03-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bakkir (Post 568051)
Hmmm, I have been told that there is a difference is grooming an Arab. Maybe its just for showing?

Likely as Speedracer mentioned - just the clipping of the bridle path. Stock horses - lay the ear back and clip the same length. Arabs - clip to the crest of the neck to add elegance.

I quit clipping bridle paths a few years ago. The cattle we work really don't care!

xAddictionx 03-03-2010 08:28 PM

Sometimes if you're showing at class A arabian shows, you might clip their face a bit differently than you would another horse..
A lot of people create a "v" on the horses face, when clipping. Here's a diagram;
Arabian Breeders Network -> Gallery -> Viewing image -> clipping diagram

And then people often use a razor blade to take off any extra hair over the muzzle, cheekbones & eyes.. to make them appear more "elegant". Like this;
http://www.rivervalleyarabians.com/p...mares/echo.jpg
Obviously the horse is a chestnut, so they in order to get the black look on the face, they would shave it with a razor and then use baby oil or gel to make their features stand out.

Indyhorse 03-03-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegalCharm (Post 568214)
for the green spots, apple cider vinegar works good.

I don't have an arab OR a grey horse, but my gelding has an awful lot of white on him that he thinks looks prettier green. Thanks for this tip, I'll try that!

crazyequine 03-04-2010 04:45 PM

In regards to an Arabian's mane...you would do a running braid when showing Hunter or Dressage instead of the button braids as Arabians have long manes. My advice for Dressage is to braid as close to the crest (almost on top) as you can, but not too tight! (It's the same feeling we get with a tight ponytail!)

If you are showing Arabian Halter, eye and muzzle enhancer are used.

These are a couple differences in "show grooming" compared to other breeds.

Have Fun!