The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   A gaited tree on a reining saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/gaited-tree-reining-saddle-49280/)

CloudsMystique 03-03-2010 05:09 PM

A gaited tree on a reining saddle?

Does it exist? Or will I have to get one custom-made?

churumbeque 03-03-2010 05:26 PM

I would ask the saddle maker of the brands you like

kevinshorses 03-03-2010 05:30 PM

Why do you need one? Just get a reining saddle that fits her pretty good. I think the whole gaited saddle thing is kind of phony anyway. Maybe if you have a TWH with alot of action in the front end it MIGHT be needed but for your horse I would think a typical reining saddle would be fine.

ponyboy 03-03-2010 05:35 PM

You have a fox trotter right? They would probably be OK in a regular saddle. Fox trotting doesn't require that the horse be ventroflexed.

Macslady 03-03-2010 07:14 PM

The only problem someone may have with a reiner would be the length of the saddle. Just find one that is 24" or less if your horse is shorter backed like the Rockies or some of the walkers. Foxtrotters I don't really know if they are shorter backed or not. I know if the saddle is square skirted and too long it will interfere with the flank area and cause gaiting problems. But it's that way with any shorter backed horse.

CloudsMystique 03-03-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 568300)
Why do you need one? Just get a reining saddle that fits her pretty good. I think the whole gaited saddle thing is kind of phony anyway. Maybe if you have a TWH with alot of action in the front end it MIGHT be needed but for your horse I would think a typical reining saddle would be fine.

Well, the problem is that I can't find a reining saddle that fits her. She has more of an "A-shaped" back, as opposed to an "O-shaped" QH back, which is what gaited trees are designed to accommodate. The main problem is her shoulders... She has pretty big shoulders and when I ride her in a saddle with QH bars, she doesn't move very well and ends up sore at the very top of her shoulders. Gaited trees flare out at the front to allow for more shoulder freedom. Even gaited horses who are not very high-stepping (and she isn't) use their shoulders more than trotting horses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponyboy (Post 568302)
You have a fox trotter right? They would probably be OK in a regular saddle. Fox trotting doesn't require that the horse be ventroflexed.

Yeah, I know, but it's the shape of her body causing the problems - not the way she carries herself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macslady (Post 568391)
The only problem someone may have with a reiner would be the length of the saddle. Just find one that is 24" or less if your horse is shorter backed like the Rockies or some of the walkers. Foxtrotters I don't really know if they are shorter backed or not. I know if the saddle is square skirted and too long it will interfere with the flank area and cause gaiting problems. But it's that way with any shorter backed horse.

Yeah, her back is pretty short. Here are some pictures so you guys know what I'm dealing with:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2526/...fb7bc1b9_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2430/...837c14b4_b.jpg

Macslady 03-08-2010 07:37 PM

Yes, she is short backed. Call Rocking R Saddlery out of Idler Alabama. I know you could probably have one made from them. They use the Steele Equifit trees which are one of the best in the industry. I had a saddle from them a couple years back. That gaited saddle fit not only the TWH I had at the time, but also the very wide shouldered paint mare my husband has. Every saddle before had pinched that paint mare, but this one fit like a glove. Wish I still had it, but I sold it with the TWH. :-(

They have some beautiful show saddles now and I am sure a reiner wouldn't be a problem for them.

Oh and I find their prices pretty reasonable too.

Good luck in your search!

CloudsMystique 03-08-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macslady (Post 572405)
Yes, she is short backed. Call Rocking R Saddlery out of Idler Alabama. I know you could probably have one made from them. They use the Steele Equifit trees which are one of the best in the industry. I had a saddle from them a couple years back. That gaited saddle fit not only the TWH I had at the time, but also the very wide shouldered paint mare my husband has. Every saddle before had pinched that paint mare, but this one fit like a glove. Wish I still had it, but I sold it with the TWH. :-(

They have some beautiful show saddles now and I am sure a reiner wouldn't be a problem for them.

Oh and I find their prices pretty reasonable too.

Good luck in your search!

Thanks for the help!