The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What kinds of terrain can horses handle? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-kinds-terrain-can-horses-handle-49323/)

novice 03-04-2010 01:16 AM

What kinds of terrain can horses handle?

Hi guys,

I know I'm probably going to sound like a complete idiot, i know nothing about horses but I have a kind of unique situation and have some questions i need answered.

My sister and I are college students in Washington State, some of our friends are taking a year off to go back packing around Europe; but we thought we would like to take a year off to do something a little more interesting. We, and a couple of our friends would like to get horses and travel from state to state on horseback.

Not on roads or trails mind you but just straight through the wilderness so to speak, setting up camps along the way. I guess basically my question is, is this possible? Can horses handle traveling long distances through varying terrains without paved walk ways or trails? And if so, what kind of horses can handle this? I do know a little bit about horses, enough to know about how not to over-stress them, to pack light and not travel too long without resting. But i don't know if the trip, at least the way we're planning it is possible or if it would be too much for the horses.

We would appreciate any advice you can give us.

Thanks in advance

-Horse novice

Honeysuga 03-04-2010 01:26 AM

Yes they can handle it.

BUT if you have no horse experience you are setting yourself up for absolute disaster and would be better off sticking to a 4wheeler or something. It takes years of experience to acquire the knowledge needed for such a treck, and unless you are planning on hiring an amazing Sherpa or guide or something, I think there is zero chance of you making it without catastrophe...

Just my two cents, not meaning to be rude.

kevinshorses 03-04-2010 01:29 AM

You could get in big trouble if you try to do that without someone that is very experienced. You will definately not have much fun and you may very well end up meeting the search and rescue in what ever state you start in. Go backpacking in Europe with your friends. Horses are much harder to master than train schedules and currency exchanges.

novice 03-04-2010 01:34 AM

Thanks guys,

Didn't take you as being rude Suga :P I appreciate the advice, guess we'll probably have to re-consider, too bad though, i really love horses and would like to learn more about them, but right now I don't really have a good place for them or the money to stable them. So, what is it exactly that you guys believe would go wrong? if you don't mind my asking.

-Novice

kevinshorses 03-04-2010 01:40 AM

You don't pack enough fodd for yourself or your horses, get lost, get injured by the horses or weather. Your horses could get injured too far in the backcountry for a vet to get to. One or more horses could get loose and not be found. If you don't know anything about horses go ahead and take some lessons or rent a horse and go for a trail ride but leave the backcountry wilderness expeditions to the proffesionals.

novice 03-04-2010 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 568724)
You don't pack enough fodd for yourself or your horses, get lost, get injured by the horses or weather. Your horses could get injured too far in the backcountry for a vet to get to. One or more horses could get loose and not be found. If you don't know anything about horses go ahead and take some lessons or rent a horse and go for a trail ride but leave the backcountry wilderness expeditions to the proffesionals.

:P well we definitely were planning on getting lessons and learning a lot more than what we know now before we ever attempted something like this; not like we would just go rent a couple of horses not even knowing how to care for them then just walk off into the sunset lol. But i see your point, will probably take a a lot more training than we were expecting, maybe in a couple of years we might be able to try this :P thanks for the info.

Honeysuga 03-04-2010 03:08 AM

Yeap, maybe in a few years with lots of lessons and trail rides in between.

You could always backpack and add in a lead(by a professional trail master and company) cross country trail ride to your trip, I am sure they have them.... If you cant find one, just do a nice beach trail ride or something. You don't have to exclude them altogether, just wait for something as serious as a long trip cross country until you have a few years under your belt.

novice 03-04-2010 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honeysuga (Post 568743)
Yeap, maybe in a few years with lots of lessons and trail rides in between.

You could always backpack and add in a lead(by a professional trail master and company) cross country trail ride to your trip, I am sure they have them.... If you cant find one, just do a nice beach trail ride or something. You don't have to exclude them altogether, just wait for something as serious as a long trip cross country until you have a few years under your belt.

There's a good idea, thanks honey :)