The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Do all English riders "purrr" to stop? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/do-all-english-riders-purrr-stop-49355/)

trailhorserider 03-04-2010 06:27 PM

Do all English riders "purrr" to stop?

Okay, I must admit I ride western and don't know anyone who rides English, at least not for the past 15 years or so. And the girl I new way-back-when who rode English was a trail rider like myself.

So I have been watching some horse videos, and today a little RFDTV and everytime I hear an English rider do that "purring" sound to stop the horse, it kind of surprises me and makes me laugh.

Is that something all English riders are taught? Where did that usage come from, is it a European thing maybe? I have only ever heard riders use the word "whoa" out here in Arizona. But everyone I ride with rides trail and western.

I'm not sure I could make the purring sound if I had to! :lol: So is that a common command for "whoa" and I have just never been exposed to it before?

wild_spot 03-04-2010 06:30 PM

I have no idea what your talking about, and I ride what would generally be considered english! I don't say anything to stop, I just ask with my aids :]

IslandWave 03-04-2010 06:33 PM

I don't know, but I find it quite funny. xDD

I ride an an english/dressage barn and I only noticed my BO/trainer doing it last year and it's been passed on to a couple of her students. She usually only does it when she is lunging the horse or when the horse she is riding needs to calm down or slow down, not come to a complete stop.

I'm don't think I could "purr" either! I usually just say "easy" or "HooOOoo" and drag it out in a low tone. Works just as well, I think. ;)

dressagebelle 03-04-2010 06:34 PM

I know what you are talking about, and its more of a soothing sound than an actual purr. Its actually something a lot of people do in the European countries from what a trainer told me. I had honestly never heard anyone do it before her, which was why I asked her about it. Now how true her statement was I have no idea, but I know that she's trained herself with a lot of olympic riders from various different countries, so maybe thats where she got it from.

White Foot 03-04-2010 06:35 PM

0_o Post a video.

dressagebelle 03-04-2010 06:36 PM

Lol. I agree. I'd rather just say easy, or whoa, and drag it out a bit in a nice easy smooth tone, than try and imitate that "purring" noise. Besides I feel much less self concious saying something than I would if I were trying to "purr".

IslandWave 03-04-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dressagebelle (Post 569174)
I know what you are talking about, and its more of a soothing sound than an actual purr. Its actually something a lot of people do in the European countries from what a trainer told me. I had honestly never heard anyone do it before her, which was why I asked her about it. Now how true her statement was I have no idea, but I know that she's trained herself with a lot of olympic riders from various different countries, so maybe thats where she got it from.

That's interesting. Maybe that's how my BO/trainer picked it up because she got her formal training in England.

Vidaloco 03-04-2010 06:48 PM

I had an english trained horse several years ago. She only knew "halt" as a verbal command to stop. I still say halt once in awhile when I mean whoa.

eventerdrew 03-04-2010 06:51 PM

never heard of anyone purring at their horse. When my horse is worked up or I want her to whoa or slow down I say either "eeeeaaassyyyyy" in a very light tone or "whooooooa"

englishrider 03-04-2010 06:53 PM

I have never seen that before... hmmmm well I just pull back or squeeze the reins! My trainer says to say whoa but I don't really say it:)But I wanna see a vid.