The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Fixing her downhill motion? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/fixing-her-downhill-motion-49371/)

Tymer 03-04-2010 08:57 PM

Fixing her downhill motion?

A horse (Pequita) that I ride twice a week (she usually only gets ridden once maybe twice again that week. At the barn they call her my horse <3) is a nice greeny and decently downhill. On my one lesson for two hours the instructor likes to fix this by adding leg and playing with the reins a little to get her to pick her head up and get her hind legs under her instead of falling on her forehand. Now my question is; can doing this often get her to work this way permanently?

Unfortunately the other lesson I do is only one hour and is with a different instructor who does not focus on things like almost all of the horses in the ring falling on their forehand (honestly, it kinda pisses me off.) Yes, I take group lessons with anywhere from 4-9 people. I also have to mention I spend most of this lesson fixing her. The person before me kicks the hell out of her and makes the poor thing unlearn many things I have started teaching her. And all this kicking makes me have to crop her a lot to make her remember that she has to respond to leg.
Okay then, back to my question. Can picking her up via collecting her help get her hind legs working if I do it often enough with her? Also, is there any other way? (Two full hours of little squeezes and playing with your pinky really hurts after a while.)

Lastly, I have a quick random question small enough to not need its own thread. Can a blanket cause circularish rubs on a horses back? Not on the withers, more like slightly behind where a saddle would go. Pequita has both of what I just said and I think (hope) the far back ones are from the blanket and not a saddle.

Sorry for dragging this out I tend to do that. :oops:

maura 03-05-2010 04:55 AM

If a green horse travels on their forehand because they're green, and haven't yet learned how to carry themselves under a rider, well, then yes, training and conditioning will help them find a more balanced way of going.

If a horse is built downhill, there is nothing you can do to change their basic conformation. You can *influence* their way of going under saddle, by asking them to push off their hind end and use themselves more correctly, but you will always be working against their conformation while doing so.

There are several excellent threads and articles on this board on collection, what it is and what it isn't, and ways in which the word is commonly misused. I'd suggest taking a look at those for more info.

The ciruclarish rubs you describe sound like the beginning of saddle sores from a badly fitting saddle.

kitten_Val 03-05-2010 06:37 AM

If you ride just one-two times/week and if another person rides before you unteaching the horse everything I doubt you can progress too much. Transitions really help horse to become lighter, but I'm not sure how it's manageable if you are taking lesson on her (and should follow the instructor). Although my instructor makes us to do transitions, but I take privates.