The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Product Reviews??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/product-reviews-49495/)

wannahorse22 03-06-2010 07:51 PM

Product Reviews???

I may be getting a horse soon (it will be my first!) I want him/her to be the most pampered horse ever:D So are there any products that any of you would reccomend? It can be from shampoos to buckets..anything! If it is possible try to review things that are on the cheaper side, but still great quality. Thanks!

HooverH 03-07-2010 12:06 AM

Hm...let me see.

Mane Tail and Groom spray for rainrot. It smells like barbeque, but it is very effective. It will also help your horse grow hair faster.

Corona ointment for cuts/rubs. Hoover has nearly torn his ear off, and ripped a huge chunk of skin and hair from his chest. I used corona, and he has no scaring or white hair growth (he's dark bay...almost black)

Hamilton halters: I get mine from Tractor Supply. Hoover still have his original one from three years ago, and after a run through the washer in a pillow case, it looks almost new. I get the deluxe kind with the adjustable nose and throat latch.

I'll have to check what my tea tree oil ointment is called. It's great, other than a stings a little when you put it on. It heals rot, fungus, rubs, cuts, abrasions...pretty much anything superficial.

...horse.com is a good place to start poking around at products. They have a nice selection of reasonable to slightly higher end. State Line Tack also has good deals sometimes, but they focus more on English (not knocking English, I'm just a Western rider :lol:) I also shop at Big Dee's and Chick's Saddlery.

HooverH 03-07-2010 12:19 AM

...my edit disappeared. Anyway, this is the tea tree ointment, Animal Legends Tea TreeADE Animal Legends Tea Tree - ADE Skin Care Ointment | petandhorse.com

wannahorse22 03-07-2010 02:52 PM

thanks!

kitten_Val 03-07-2010 05:11 PM

I get cheap grooming stuff. Just go to jeffersequine.com or valleyvet.com and buy what I need or I buy at the Expo in winter.

For shampoo I got whatever was on sale in my local tack store. :wink:

For ointment I always use Aloe Vera Base Vet Cream Horseman's Dream (Equine - Horse Health Care - Wound Care) - worked for me the best (I tried several different ones before picking this one).

I also use Mane 'n Tail detangler. Something you really need (especially for the tail - ha-ha!) Mane 'N Tail Detangler (Equine - Grooming - Horse Shampoo Conditioner - Conditioners)

This is what I use for fly spray. Scott Purdum - Advantage Horsemanship It is not the cheapest one. But this one I used all last summer and it surprisingly worked (lots of bug sprays are very inefficient with number of flies we have May - Aug).