The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Barn Managers Son really po'd me.... (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/barn-managers-son-really-pod-me-49542/)

HalfPass 03-07-2010 10:19 AM

Barn Managers Son really po'd me....

Hey everyone,
Yesterday afternoon I got a bit peeved.
The BM was out for the day and her 20 yr old some was taking care of things...well if you really want to call it that!

So when I arrived yesterday morning My horses blanket was still on. The horse next to her had the blanket taken off. If your thin you can squezz inbetween a post and a wall and get over to my horses side with out having to walk around the barn.
So basically he was too lazy to walk around to the opposite side.

I ended up taking her blanket off and leaving it off for the day. I was out there until dusk.

I had a later lesson in the afternoon so It was just after evening feed time.
So he comes over to the arena rail and says to me...."I am cutting Candi's feed by 2 flakes per day" I said no your not. She needs to have hay in front of her all day.
Side note- his mom (The Barn Manager) and I just raised it to 3 flks grass in the am and 3 in the pm. She has only been on that for something like 3-4 days.
On another side note. The rule is that when the feed becomes like bedding they will reduce the intake.

Okay so before my lesson I had picked up the left over stuff and put it in her feed bin. It was not even a 1/2 flake, and was all fluffed out of course.

Anyway....he got really pissy that I said no about reducing the feed. Thank goodness my trainer was there to witness and hear everything

So ...after I am done with my lesson I untack etc. I go to the other barn to check my mare. To my surprise He cut her feed and she barley had even a flakes worth of Grass hay in there.
Not to mention he threw her grain bucket into her feed bin because...once again he didn't want to walk around the barn to put it in her rubber feeder.
I have a large peev about buckets in paddock/stall etc unless they are hung properly and even then I am not really fod of the idea. Thus i have a rubber thingy that is pretty flat and shallow for that purpose.

I was LIVID. to say the least.
I went and got 2 flakes of grass hay and put it in her feed bin.

Jerk off !!!

Sorry for the rant but I have two horses at this facility. I have been there for a year.
The barn managers son is not incharge!

It would have been different if the BM or the assistant BM came and said "Christine....we noticed your mare isn't eating quite everything, shall we try cutting her 1/2 flake"?

It is not like this kid is there looking at who eats what on a 2 times a day basis....
Ummmhe filled in one day and did a 1/2 *** job.

I plan on talking with the assistant BM today and also letting the BM know as soon as I see her. She lives on the property but was away yesterday.

Okay that is my rant!
Any thoughts....

HP

qtrhrsecrazy 03-07-2010 10:41 AM

I would have been pissed too. Hope your BM takes care of the situation. Stuff like this is why I HATE to board. Unfortunately I have to right now and I keep a close eye on things

HalfPass 03-07-2010 10:55 AM

She is a really nice gal and I am fairly certain she wont be very happy with her kid!
I am going out early this morning to see what her feed is like. And to see if her blanket is off.
I think that she does the early feed on Sun but not certain. The Assistant bm wont be there until 9 am.
I will feel out the situation then and talk to my trainer again about it.

MIEventer 03-07-2010 10:57 AM

I feel your pain! As we've discussed on FB.

I say go directly to the BM and talk to her directly and tell her exactly what you are thinking and stand up for your horses rights. You are paying them for a service, and that service has to be met.

HalfPass 03-07-2010 06:12 PM

More BS...
Apparently...The Son, has really done things in for himself. He also lied to his mom about something with another boarder.
And...when I spoke with the Assistant BM She let me know he marked down many things as done and she has found they were never done. She told me not to even bring it up to the BM to just talk with the owner.
The other boarder told me he lied and actually accused her of some things that I know where not even true. I was there all day.
SO I will be deriving(sp) a letter or email letting the owner know I was not pleased wit the way I was approached and then I will also make a list of facts. I am really glad thatmy trainer was right there when he did approach me.

Hopefully the BM wont be upset with me but it is a risk I feel I need to take.

Both her and her son where riding today and I treated them as I normally would treat them.
Now if he is working and representing the facility I prefer he leaves my horses alone.
Unfortunately their horses are out with my Tiny who is in pasture. Now the BM is a great lady but there are some family issues I will stay out of.

We are talking only about his actions or lack there of...while working and respresenting the facility as an employee...

Now the other boarder has told me she too will be letting the owner know what transpired.
The owner is currently out of town at a horse show and will not return until later on next week.

We shall see how it all goes....
and so the drama continues...

Sorry but don't with hold food from my horse when 1.) your not in a position to make that decision, and 2.) you are not a regular employee
hp

Jessabel 03-07-2010 07:52 PM

What a bum. I say whack him across the noggin with a two-by-four.
Hope everything gets straightened out. :)

Tasia 03-07-2010 09:26 PM

Been there done that. When it involves my horses well being that is when it crosses a thin line. I will put up a fight when it comes to that point.

HalfPass 03-08-2010 09:44 AM

Here is the letter I wrote to the BO.

On Saturday March 6, I had some undesirable experiences at the barn while (S)was working.
I arrived in the morning at approximately 9:15 am. When I entered the little barn I noticed that Lula had her blanket taken off but Candi still had her blanket on. At this time I had no idea that Michael was working instead of Sally. I took Candiís blanket off.
Later on in the afternoon about 4:15 pm I was taking a lesson with Lindsey. (S) approached me during my lesson and point blank told me he was cutting Candiís feed by two flakes. She is currently being fed 3 flakes am and pm. I asked him why and his reply was that she had some left when he went to feed her. Before my lesson I had picked up the small amount of hay and put it in her feed bin. It was approximately Ĺ flake or less.
I explained that I had put the feed in the bin and that it really wasnít much. He stated he was cutting the feed in a matter of fact way. At that point Lindsey and I both said not to cut the feed that Candi is underweight and needs to have it.
This is the most perplexing thing of all. After my lesson I went into the little barn to put away my hard hat. I checked Candiís feed. He had not given her the 3 flakes of hay. To my surprise he had already cut out the two flakes. I know he only gave her maybe a flake of hay. On top of that her grain bucket was tossed into the tire feed bin. When others do the grain they usually just dump the grain into the small rubber feeder in Candiís paddock. A loose bucket with a handle in a pen is something I donít care much for due to the risk of a foot etc becoming caught.
I donít think this was handled properly or professionally. I donít know what you can or cannot do about this but I thought it best that you understand what happened on Sat. March 6th.
Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this further.

What do you all think?? I think it states the facts pretty clearly without implicating any other crap other than what happened. I substituted an (S) instead of his name.
Thanks for reading.
HP

White Foot 03-08-2010 10:06 AM

I can understand where you're coming from. Especially if your horse is underweight, it will need the extra feed. I'll probably get the boot for saying this but...

I think you're overreacting a little. I don't think the bucket thing is a big deal. In my 19 years of being around horses (no 19 years isn't a long time!) I've never seen a horse get injured by a bucket. Maybe you should step back and step into his shoes or look at it in the big picture. He's young and will make mistakes. How warm was it that day? How heavy was the blanket? If the weather was cold or mild maybe the horse should of kept it on if he/she is underweight. And take into consideration this IS the owners son, so I know with my family an attack on one is an attack on us all.

I work at a stable and though I'm not the owner or the manager I see and hear enough to know that if the horse owner complains too much they won't take you seriously the next time you cry wolf and will probably make fun of you behind your back. And it isn't just the barn I work at, everyone is guilty. It's stressful to run a barn when everyone is complaining about everything, you know?

That's just my two cents, feel free to call me out.

HalfPass 03-08-2010 10:31 AM

I totally hear what your saying.
It is hard to explain the set up in the little barn, but he basically he threw the bucket in her bin because he did not want to walk around to the other side.
He has been in trouble for lying and not doing his job in the past. And...he does not work there on a regular basis due him not doing his job.

I have never complained about one thing at this place.

About the blanket.....same thing....horses get unblanketed in the morning and are blanketed and unblanketed according to a chart provided by the owner. He clearly again...did not want to walk around to the other side to unblanket the horse.

The regular employee's would never leave a bucket in the pen when not hung up. And, they would never not feed or blanket/unblanket etc.

This guy works there every once in a blue moon. He really did not do his job that day but charted that he had. He didn't turn out horses either that were on the list, but marked them off and those people were charged for the turn ots.

I think your a bit on the biased side because you work at a barn. But the thing to understand is no one ever cmplains at this barn and things are always handled proffesionally etc.

And....no I will not give this kid a break. He was working and represent the facility and he had no authority to make feed changes. He was being flat out LAZY to not want to walk around to the other side and unblanket, and later dump the grain in the tub.

I am not overreacting in my opinion. I think he didn't do his job!

I have seen some nasty things happen with bucket in my life around horses. This barn never is to leave a bucket in a pen in this fashion anway! The grain bucket is either hung up or it is dumped into a container provided by the owner.

He is NOT the owners son. He is the on site managers son. Yes I understand every mother will protect their son. etc etc.
hp