The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Eye goop? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/eye-goop-49553/)

Bluelover 03-07-2010 02:07 PM

Eye goop?

I have a 6 year old mini gelding that I have had for two years now.
When I bought him he had green eye goop and quite a bit of drainage in his right eye. His eye wasn't swollen or anything and he can see fine out of it. So I thought it would go away. It did but he seems to get it off and on all year long. My vet wasn't much help and I just wanted to know if anybody had any ideas of why it wont go away or of something to use to get it gone. Thanks

HooverH 03-07-2010 03:42 PM

My first thought is allergies.

QHDragon 03-07-2010 06:58 PM

My QH gelding dunny had a chronic goopy eye. His was caused by a scar on his nose that blocked the tube (bad technical term) that usually allows the eye to drain down the nose. You may want to ask your vet to try flushing it since sometimes that tube will get clogged as well.

tealamutt 03-07-2010 10:19 PM

QHDragon, that was my first thought too. The nasolacrimal duct runs from the inner corner of the eye and out the nose (the reason our noses run when our eyes tear up). It is not too difficult to flush these, though some horses hate it. Horses with allergies need them done regularly and sometimes they can get foreign bodies in there (like grass awns or "foxtails") which need to be removed. Rarely they can be blocked from birth but this doesn't sound like that. I bet youtube has a video on flushing NL ducts. Good luck.

Bluelover 03-08-2010 06:09 PM

thanks guys I'll try that

QHDragon 03-08-2010 06:29 PM

Yeah, I won't tell you the horror story of trying to flush out Dunny's eyes. He had to be sedated. Some horses tolerate it and some like my old guy don't. Now that I re-read what you said I would call your vet and ask, normal color is clear to a light yellow, green just doesn't sound right.

tealamutt 03-08-2010 06:56 PM

again, I agree with QHdragon, if you haven't done flushing yourself before and don't know how your horse will react, it is best to have the vet there. Eye problems are very serious and always need attention as quickly as possible so it is a good idea to get the vet out anyway.

My2Geldings 03-08-2010 09:02 PM

Can you post pictures?

Bluelover 03-11-2010 04:20 PM

Yeah I'll post some pics as soon as possible