The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Am I crazy (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/am-i-crazy-49560/)

Cadillac 03-07-2010 03:17 PM

Am I crazy

Hi, I'm new to this board. I just purchase my new partner, a t/b. I'm not sure what I'm going to do beside trail riding. I am a recent western riding convert. He's tall, 17 h, has a great attitude. Am I crazy chosing to ride western with him?

thunderhooves 03-07-2010 04:17 PM

nope. I know some people on here ride their huge drafts in western saddle. Of course, choose trails with no low-hanging branches with such a tall boy.
Remember, not every tall horse has to be ridden english, and vice-versa. :) Good Luck!

SorrelHorse 03-10-2010 01:19 PM

Naw. Toni has herself an 18.2hh team penning horse. Hehe, don't worry about it. :)

iridehorses 03-11-2010 09:40 AM

18.2h??? I'll bet Toni can see those numbers real well! I'd be concerned about a cow running under my horse!

When I made the switch from English to Western, I had a OTT App that was 16.2h and he (Pongo) made a good trail horse. My only problem was that the group I rode with used to deliberately ride in close cover and I was the one who got wacked with branches and spider webs.

HowClever 03-11-2010 09:50 AM

my 16.2hh thoroughbred is ridden in a western saddle and bridle, and i must say he looks simply divine when he is all decked out....must take some pictures to share one day

Ridehorses99 03-11-2010 05:15 PM

I have a 16h paint and a 14.3h QH. I love riding the QH for trails because we aren't ducking the whole ride. However, my paint is a much more elegant mover in the arena and does well in Western Pleasure and Trail class.

Maire995 03-11-2010 05:24 PM

Umm if your just trail riding i would personally say that a thourbred would be wasted at that job! they are best suited to racing and jumping! Although that is just my opinion!

Brighteyes 03-11-2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maire995 (Post 574578)
Umm if your just trail riding i would personally say that a thourbred would be wasted at that job! they are best suited to racing and jumping! Although that is just my opinion!

I'm sure the horse doesn't think that. :D

FGRanch 03-11-2010 07:29 PM

My hubby's western horse is almost 17hh. I could never imagine her being an english horse...

Kansasbarrelracer 03-13-2010 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maire995 (Post 574578)

Actually some thoroughbreds make the best trail horses. I use my thoroughbred gelding mainly for trails because he is so level headed

So yes any horse will make a good trail horse, and you don't have to ride your thoroughbred english. Shoot, there was even a woman running her thoroughbred in the NFR (he was running barrels) and he kicked butt.