The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Hair Problems... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hair-problems-49578/)

horsgal 03-07-2010 05:49 PM

Hair Problems...

My 2 year old horse is loosing hair on her left shoulder. Its not like shedding though, all the hair is off in that one spot. Its a zig-zag pattern going down her shoulder, looks like someone painted it on her from far away, since shes a dark horse.:lol: Dandruf gets everywhere when you rub it. You can also pull the hair out, kind of like you can rain rot, but I know its not rain rot, I brush her almost every day. I can't figure out what it is, so I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this before. What is it? What can I do about it? Thanks!

MyBoyPuck 03-07-2010 08:59 PM

Can't say I know what it is, but I do know that a $9 bottle of tea tree oil might clear it up, particularly if it is something fungal. My horse had a scorching case of rain rot a few months ago, and after trying all the expensive stuff, that's what worked for me. You can find it in any drug store.

ShannonSevenfold 03-08-2010 07:54 AM

Not sure, but could it possibly be a blanket rub?

MyGalSal 03-08-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsgal (Post 571512)
My 2 year old horse is loosing hair on her left shoulder. Its not like shedding though, all the hair is off in that one spot. Its a zig-zag pattern going down her shoulder, looks like someone painted it on her from far away, since shes a dark horse.:lol: Dandruf gets everywhere when you rub it. You can also pull the hair out, kind of like you can rain rot, but I know its not rain rot, I brush her almost every day. I can't figure out what it is, so I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this before. What is it? What can I do about it? Thanks!

I have found that liquid Ivory Soap works wonders..................! Try it!

horsgal 03-08-2010 05:54 PM

Thanks everyone! Shes not blanketed so I know it can't be that. I'll go and try these things and see how it does. =)

tealamutt 03-08-2010 06:41 PM

kind of sounds like ringworm actually. It usually clears up when the winter weather subsides and they are out in the sun again and it couldn't hurt to try tea tree oil as MBP suggested since ringworm is a fungus.

horsgal 03-09-2010 06:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of it, it might help a little! The last pic is a close up and you can kinda see the dandruff. I saw her scratching it today, so it has gone up farther on her shoulder. Thanks again for your help!

foreignmusic 03-09-2010 07:43 PM

Could it be that she is stressing about something? A change in diet or eating habits? Different hay (can easily include allergies/intolerance)? A new horse in the yard? A new employee? A new work/training routine or element? ANYthing new or different? Not common but not unheard of to lose fur if stressed, the remedy being to remove the stress factour, if possible, then treat as needed.

I hope this resolves soon and uneventfully for both of you!

CharliGirl 03-09-2010 09:08 PM

Might be a good idea for the vet to take a look at it when she gets her spring vaccinations. It doesn't look like ringworm to me--ringworm is red, raised, and itchy. As the previous poster mentioned, has her diet changed at all? Is it warming up where you live? She could have developed an allergy to something new in her diet or surroundings.

jazzyrider 03-10-2010 03:35 AM

it looks fungal to me. tea tree oil could work. i would also suggest looking at something like colloidal silver. i use colloidal silver for any fungal type problems with my horses. it works quick and well and isnt too expensive