The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Standing Still (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/standing-still-49594/)

RedTree 03-07-2010 10:51 PM

Standing Still

How do you get your horse to stay still while grooming?

Buzz doesnt stay still, would putting him in crosties help?
He can stay still for maybe 5 miniutes but then I think he gets bored when he moves I try to push him back into the same spot he moved from but I don't think that really helps and he keeps moving

QHDragon 03-07-2010 10:59 PM

Do you have him tied at all, or just standing out in the field?

I would suggest you hobble break him. I think every horse, especially those that are super wiggly can benefit from hobbling.

RedTree 03-07-2010 11:01 PM

hes tied up

I was actually thinking hobbling its just I don't think its a real big thing over in Aust so I dont think they are sold here or if so I have never seen any

Amir 03-07-2010 11:26 PM

Here's some online from Horse Supplies Direct
Horse Hobbles: Buy online at Horse Supplies Direct

I don't know many people who have hobble broke their horses apart from my friend. She's only done a couple of her ponies.
I'd like to get my horse hobble broke but I don't really know how to go about it. I think it would be a good thing for horses to learn so they don't automatically panic when they get their leg caught in something.

trIplEcrOwngIrl 03-07-2010 11:35 PM

I had my two mares just stand there tied for like 1 1/2 hrs yesterday while I was working my gelding. They were much better today

RedTree 03-07-2010 11:42 PM

If i did that he would start pawing the ground he likes his attention but when he gets it he doesnt stay still

Brighteyes 03-08-2010 01:08 AM

My granddad use to teach horses to tie and stay still by cross tying them between trees for an hour or two. They would paw and swirm, but they soon learned it was a waste of energy. He would watch, and as soon as they settled down he would come over the give them some hay and groom. If they started moving again, he would leave them for another 20 minutes or so. For really hard headed horses, it took about five or more times, but most got the message after two or three tries. Most of the time his method worked pretty well.

RoxanneElizabeth 03-08-2010 01:42 AM

I love these tips, my horse paws and is restless while tied too.

RedTree 03-08-2010 02:52 AM

I think I may just tie him up and leave him but it will have to be a day I am not doing anything which are rare
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 03-08-2010 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighteyes (Post 571794)
My granddad use to teach horses to tie and stay still by cross tying them between trees for an hour or two. They would paw and swirm, but they soon learned it was a waste of energy. He would watch, and as soon as they settled down he would come over the give them some hay and groom. If they started moving again, he would leave them for another 20 minutes or so. For really hard headed horses, it took about five or more times, but most got the message after two or three tries. Most of the time his method worked pretty well.

Exactly. Teaching a horse patience is like teaching anything else.