The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Can you suggest a saddle to fit this boy? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/can-you-suggest-saddle-fit-boy-49603/)

Golden Horse 03-08-2010 01:46 AM

Can you suggest a saddle to fit this boy?
 
I'm getting frustrated trying to find a saddle to fit Alto, I've tried 5 western saddles on him so far, and nothing seems to fit, we've tried FQHB, arab flex tree, semi bars, and a bunch of random to hand could be anythings:oops:

So this is the shape we're trying to fit, any ideas?

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...o/IMG_0481.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...o/IMG_0482.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...o/IMG_0485.jpg

kevinshorses 03-08-2010 01:53 AM

There is nothing odd about his back so you need to re-evaluate your saddle fitting skills. If you have a decent pad and a decent FQHB or SQHB tree it should fit fine.

rum4 03-08-2010 01:53 AM

You could tree a treeless and see how that works. That is what my wife started riding in and it worked out fine.

Golden Horse 03-08-2010 02:13 AM

Rum4, I'm seriously thing about a treeless, but not totally sure.

My saddle fitting skills REALLY need improving, but the problem I'm getting is I can get something that looks fairly good in the front, but they all seem to kick up to far in the back. I think that heis quite flat backed so the rock is wrong on him.

Seeing that he hasn't been ridden for many years, and I'm just starting him, I really want him to be comfortable. Here is a slide show of what we have had on him during his ground training

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...h_IMG_0435.jpg

SouthernTrails 03-08-2010 08:36 AM

Haffies can be horrible to fit sometimes :-)

Sometimes a Mule Saddle with a 6.5" Gullet will fit, have on you can borrow to test?

Only other way would be to get a set of Steele Brand Tree Fit Forms and Try all 8 of them till you find the best fit and then find a Saddle with the corresponding Tree in it to the Form.


.

iridehorses 03-08-2010 08:48 AM

There is a "sticky" at the start of this forum section that can be of help to you. It's the home made version of the recommendation above.

kitten_Val 03-08-2010 09:11 AM

I don't see anything out of ordinary with your horse frankly, my qh looks the same. What do you mean "does not fit"? Can you take some pics with the saddle and post here?

Golden Horse 03-08-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernTrailsGA (Post 571876)
Haffies can be horrible to fit sometimes :-)

Sometimes a Mule Saddle with a 6.5" Gullet will fit, have on you can borrow to test?

Only other way would be to get a set of Steele Brand Tree Fit Forms and Try all 8 of them till you find the best fit and then find a Saddle with the corresponding Tree in it to the Form.


*Waves* Hi Kevin how are you?, don't know of any mule saddles, will have a check around though, the tree fit forms sound like a good idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 571887)
There is a "sticky" at the start of this forum section that can be of help to you. It's the home made version of the recommendation above.

Cool, off to check that one out, thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 571894)
I don't see anything out of ordinary with your horse frankly, my qh looks the same. What do you mean "does not fit"? Can you take some pics with the saddle and post here?

If you click on the small pic on my last post there is a slide show of various saddles, if it's not working I'll post pics on the thread.

qtrhrsecrazy 03-08-2010 11:07 AM

Looks like FQHB's and even SQHB's should fit.. not sure why they're not?

justsambam08 03-08-2010 11:38 AM

From the pictures you posted, it looks like you may have the saddle too far back. I think that tex tan, if you got a smaller gullet measurement, would work just fine on him--I believe tex tan trees are kind of table-ish. The reinsman saddle, with a smaller gullet, also looks like it would suit him well. The abetta tree looked a little more curved, I have one for my TB and it fits him, but he also has a curvy back.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0