The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   how to correctly pull & thin the mane :( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-correctly-pull-thin-mane-49651/)

Ponies4Paige 03-08-2010 06:59 PM

how to correctly pull & thin the mane :(

ugh Chesters mane us uncontrolable!!!!! i have tried pulling it to thin it......doesnt really work so i think i might be doin it wrong :/ his hair is like a shetland ponies (thankfully not as thick/long) its all fuzzy underneath and like regular horse hair up top. his mane wont stay on the opposite side of his neck becuz its too short....any advise?

rocky pony 03-13-2010 01:19 AM

A picture would be handy..the ones on his profile don't show it too well.

Well this is what I do:
First I take thinning shears like these:
Thinning Shears - Horse.com
And cut it slightly longer than I want it pulled..sometimes leaving it ever so slightly longer in thicker areas (usually the middle)
That part is pretty hard..because of the way it cuts and you want to kind of force it to cut across the entire mane. It's better than using scissors because it allows the hairs to be different lengths which is better for pulling. I wear riding gloves for this part to protect my fingers.

Then I pull it in the style shown in this video (though I prefer to pull by hand)
Be sure to pull mostly the hairs in the back.

I hope it helps! Good luck with your guy.

Gidget 03-13-2010 09:58 AM

use a sleezy..it's like spandex. My horses hair was frizzy and now it lays down a lot better. It should help it...leave it on and it will start to lay down...atleast it worked for me and my friend.

JustLeaveIt2Mya 03-13-2010 10:47 AM

I have the same prob. in the video they have it easy their horses mane isn't massivly thick! haha, My girls mane is really thick and i started pulling it already so i can maybe get it thin by time the shows starts right now i have her mane in little braids, to help keep the mane on the same side and frizz down :)