The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Wow this is terrible!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/wow-terrible-4971/)

horse_luver4e 12-29-2007 01:19 PM

Wow this is terrible!!!

Guys look at this and read all of it. They REALLY don't understand reining! :(

http://www.horsemanpro.com/articles2/reining.htm

BluMagic 12-29-2007 02:06 PM

That's weird! Maybe they just don't like horses! I find that odd. lol. There's nothing wrong with reining. And it's not "proposterous" or whatever. Weird, weird, weird. Coolio to bring that up. lol. :)

horse_luver4e 12-29-2007 02:41 PM

I know I wonder why they are so aginst it?

buckaroo2010 12-29-2007 03:27 PM

yeah thats every werid!!! I have never heard of that before1 :?

horse_luver4e 12-29-2007 06:16 PM

I know, reining can be dangerous but so can any other sport. Most of the time the horses really enjoy it!

Equina 12-29-2007 10:19 PM

Wow, crazy. I'm not even a Western rider, but that write-up seemed "preposterous" itself!

Even from the very beginning: "I can think of no other recognized riding activity that causes injuries (usually permanent) in so many participating horses." Umm, what about racing? I'm sure there are tons of injuries to those Thoroughbreds running as fast as they can as 2 year olds! Many are off to stud or broodmare status by 5 years old (while your Reining Horse will be going strong and competitive into his teens).

Also, to those of you who know more about Western Spins than I do...a question! This article described the spin where one rear hoof stays stationary and the other steps in a backwards motion. So, say you are spinning to the left, the right rear is stationary and the left rear is going backwards in a circle? Is that correct? I would always image the left rear staying put while the right rear follows the body motion forward and counter-clockwise (left).

It's funny how the writer described the reining pattern as "insane." I just got a book of practice patterns for hunter/jumper and WOW! Take that reining pattern, add cavaletti, jumps, transitions, and halts. Now that's insane (but in a good way!)

Whatever :roll: Reining looks like a ton of fun and even the horses get all spunked up and seem to enjoy it. Every Reining Horse Owner I've ever met has taken wonderful care of their horses.

horse_luver4e 12-29-2007 10:52 PM

I know I agree! I can't think of why this person dislikes it so much? Reining isn't bad. I don't think they know much about it if they exsplain it that way! :?

AKPaintLover 12-30-2007 12:14 AM

I have recently become interested in reining and have been training my stallion to do so. I have to admit that I thought that was a good article. The author actually makes some good points.

Reining, like any other discipline can get taken to the extreme. I think the article is a good reminder to just be sure to put the welfare, soundness, happiness, and safety of your horse above winning in reining or any other discipline for that matter.

The maneuvers in reining may not have much practical appliance when compared to "real" western riding, but I think being able to perform them to some accuracy shows real control and communication with your horse. Also, I have noticed since starting reining training that collection is required to properly do the maneuvers.

I think it is good to listen to opposing views about the things we are interested in with an open mind. It makes us think, and not get wrapped up in winning, money, ribbons, etc.

If sliders really are detrimental, maybe don't use sliders and just don't demand such long stops?? I don't know...reining, like anything else does not have to be taken to the extreme. It can still show a well trained horse with 5-10 stops and slow but steady spins, etc. :)

Vidaloco 12-30-2007 09:33 AM

I agree completely with AK. There are extremes in any discipline and people who are willing to sacrifice the horses health to achieve a win. I admire all organized horse compettions although I don't partake in them myself. Its the extremes of any sport that I don't understand. Be it the athlete who uses sterioids and ruins his health and mind or the horse trainer that uses cruel devises to achieve their goals.
We are about an hour and a half drive from Oklahoma City, reinging horse heaven. I can see how many of the cowboys around here can use a lot of the manuvers in the everyday cattle work they do. I figure the "spin" got started because some Okie thought it was fun :wink: I imagine they get pretty bored.

horse_luver4e 12-30-2007 02:11 PM

But reining isn't obserd it's fun