The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How would you do it?

993 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  wild_spot 
#1 ·
My dad recently got Cecil (The QH) and he is a 2 time state champ barrel racer.SO I think he is going to be wired at shows, and obviously I don't want that. He hasn't run in a while, so I was just wondering how I should go about re-training him and getting him back into "The swing" of things?
We are going to get him vet checked to make sure his body can handle it, but what training wise should I do?

#2 ·
Take him to shows and DON'T race. Ride him around on a loose rein, school him on the flat, let him watch, and basically just chill out. If you can, take him to any renas you can get to and do things OTHER than barrels in them. Schooling, long and low, calming work. He needs to learn the the arena is just another place you ride, not just a place you run :]

#3 ·
^I was thinking that. I am going to start to muscle him up and then we are going to go to the arena a couple times (It is close and I can ride in it without other people so that will be nice.)
Thank you for the fast reply!
I will be doing that.

#7 ·
I just want to add - once he is staying nice and relaxed, and you feel absolutely safe on him, try taking him fro some breezes at home, then bringing him back to a walk on a loose rein. He not only needs to learn the the arena is just another place to ride, he also needs to learn that galloping is just another gait, and not something to get excited over.

Basically, the advice I gave you in the other thread, but in this case, ONLY when he is chilled out and not being a rev-head. And take it slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.