The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Rubbing, Dry Flaky Skin.... Any Advice? (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/rubbing-dry-flaky-skin-any-advice-49772/)

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 03-10-2010 02:15 PM

Rubbing, Dry Flaky Skin.... Any Advice?

:think: Hi all!
I was wondering if any one out there has this same problem, or can offer any advice?
My little black Stallion seems to have a skin problem.
Around this same time of year he starts to rub the sides of his upper neck and below his ear area, until there is no hair. Also his forelock and mane develop large dry flakes. Does not seem like just "dandruff" to me.The skin on the sides of his neck actually seems to "thicken" and develop "rolls" as well.
The first year I went through this with him, I had the vet take a peak. He only suggested that I suds up those area with beta-dine, and rinse it lightly. That it was obviously not contagious (the others were fine), and that skin conditions are very hard to diagnose....

I did that twice a day, as well as applying Emu Oil salve to keep the area from being so dry. As soon as the weather was warm enough (we live in NW Montana, so that does not come very early!) I started to bathe him once a week, followed by a good conditioning, as well as the scrub once a day. That seemed to help the problem, and by August it was pretty cleared up.
I would much rather find a permanent solution to his problem, that would prevent him having to go through it at all!

It is now that time of year again, we still are getting snow, and I can not bathe him.
Does any one out there have this problem?
Have any ideas on what might actually be causing him this trouble?

I would love any suggestions or advice you can offer, thanks!

coelh102 03-11-2010 09:13 AM

My mini mare does the exact same thing and my vet said the same thing yours did! I think it has to do with them shedding and they itch but they don't know when to stop so they itch the hair off completely and that makes them bald? I just try to curry as much as I can to get the hair off and on stops like the neck, I clip them. My Appy gelding has started this as well, right behind his cheek and I have seen him itching like crazy so I clipped his neck and he stopped and the hair loss was minimal. You don't have to give him a whole bath but I suggest a sponge bath in the worse troubled areas then let it dry and clip him. If you have a neck warmer, put that on after letting the air get to his skin. Maybe that will help? I know it does with my mare who gets a very thick winter coat. :lol:

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 03-11-2010 11:28 AM

Rubbing, Dry Flaky Skin.... Any Advice?

Hi coelh102,
Thank you so much for the reply. I was getting worried I was the only one with this issue.
I figured it was just a matter of "shedding out" that triggers this in him, and maybe that his skin has sensitivity issues with winter grunge build up.
I do curry them out all through the winter, keeps them cleaner as well as being good for their circulation. But it obviously is not enough for Sammy.

I am going to try your suggestion, I don't know why I did not think of that?
We have been having some good direct sun the last day or two,(although our high's are still just in the 30's)
So I will take advantage of that and do the spot bath and get that area clipped down while it is still in the beginning stages...

Oh, would you recommend just the area being rubbed, be shaved? Or should I go ahead and do the surrounding neck and head areas for good measure?
Thank you again for the great advice, really appreciate it.
And Sammy says "Thanks!" as well. ;-)

coelh102 03-11-2010 12:06 PM

Well When I do Missy I won't shave her down to the skin kind of blad, I just trim it really short, like summertime length. Just enough to where the sun can reach the skin and help it heal. Missy loves the sponge bath because I am itching her itchy spots as well as healing them so it makes me happy and her happy! I also clip the whole neck and face, just stopping on her shoulder where the blanket falls naturally so she won't get too cold in the ever changing weather.

I am lucky enough to have weather in the 50's where I am so blankets aren't necessary but the change in Sammy's fur coat might make him cold so I suggest a blanket till he gets warmer weather. :)

Your very welcome for the advice, I'm glad to help!

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 03-11-2010 12:30 PM

:D You answered my next question.
I figured I would probably not want to take him all the way down to the skin, thanks for confirming that.

I am sure he will be very happy and much more comfortable after we get this done! I will certainly blanket him if it looks like he needs it.
Thanks Again!

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 03-15-2010 06:08 PM

Well, I got Sammy's neck and head shaved down the other day, but not too close.
I was so proud of him, he has never been exposed to clippers before. I have only had him one year, and have kept his bridle path clean with a "manual" hand operated clipper.
He was pretty darn relaxed through he whole thing, he was a little leery about having his forehead done, but other then that, was not bad at all. He is such a good boy.
Seemed like he felt much better almost immediately.
So, I will keep my eye on him and keep my fingers crossed that it helps his rubbing issues.
Seeing his handsome little head, makes me want to get out there and get every one shaved down! I just have to be patient though, much too cold here yet to start doing that...
Thanks again for your advise. :D

chocolatecreekstables 04-16-2010 01:50 PM

After clipping I put lots of MTG on all the places where it looks dry and flaky. Is usually gone in 2 days.

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 04-16-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocolatecreekstables (Post 606874)
After clipping I put lots of MTG on all the places where it looks dry and flaky. Is usually gone in 2 days.

I have been wanting to try MTG products, no one carries it around here locally, but I am going to give in and pay the shipping and order some.
I have heard such good things about their products!

I know they have a shampoo and a spray on coat shine product...

Is there a specific product they make to use as a conditioner or "leave on" that you are talking about specifically?
I would sure appreciate the information!

The clipping his head and neck did make a difference (compared to not, last
spring) But he is still rubbing more than the other minis. I think he is just much more sensitive skinned then my others.... So I am willing to try what ever I can to make him comfortable until it is warm enough to give him a good bath!

PaintHorseMares 04-16-2010 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiritedLittleCopperSpots (Post 606919)
Is there a specific product they make to use as a conditioner or "leave on" that you are talking about specifically?

Perhaps you are thinking of EQ Body Wash. I haven't used it, but our long time horse owner friends say it is the best. EQ Solutions - The EASY & QUICK Solution to ALL Your Washing Needs.

CheyAut 04-17-2010 03:25 AM

^ LOVE EQ Solutions :)