The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   horsey trivia (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horsey-trivia-4979/)

jazzyrider 12-30-2007 06:37 AM

horsey trivia

The reason firehouses have circular stairways is from the days of yore when the engines were pulled by horses. The horses were stabled on the ground floor and figured out how to walk up straight staircases.
bullet

If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle; if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

Where did the expression "to get one's goat" originate? Owners of high strung race horses would place a goat with them to help them calm down. Unscrupulous people steal the horse's goat *friend* in order to upset the horse so it would not race well.

A horse's teeth occupy more space in its head than its brain

Horses have memories that put elephants to shame

An ancient practice is putting a horse's shoes on backwards - toe to heels - to mislead a pursuing enemy. It was used in the 11th century by King Alphonso in his escape from the Moorish Kind Ali Maymon of Toledo, Spain; in 1303 by Robert the Bruce in his escape from King Edward; and in 1530 by Duke Christopher of Wuurtemburg in his escape from Emperor Charles V. And if you believe the movies, it was a common practice in the Old West.

Many horses live, (and work), until they are over 30 years old! The oldest recorded horse was a barge horse in England known as "old Bill". He lived till the grand old age of 62!

It is estimated that there are about 750 million horses in the world.

China not only has the most people in the world, but also has the most Horses with 10,000,000

The Horse belongs to the Equus Family. Equus comes from the ancient Greek word meaning "QUICKNESS"

The "OLDEST" horse ever to give birth was a 42 year old Australian brood mare.

The "SMALLEST" pony in history was a stallion named "Little Pumpkin." He stood 14 inches and weighed only 20 lbs..!

The World's Largest Horse ever recorded was a Shire gelding named Samson, bred by Thomas Cleaver of Toddington Mills, England. Foaled in 1846, this horse measured 21.2 1/2 hand high ( 7 ft. 2 inches) in 1850, and weighed 3,360 pounds.Samson is also recorded as the "HEAVIEST" horse weighing 1524 kg (3360 lbs.)

The longest tail measured was 22 ft. long was grown by an American Palomino named Chinook.

The longest horse mane was 18 ft. long and grown by a Californian mare named Maude.

just some useless trivia for you :)

meggymoo 12-30-2007 05:35 PM

:shock: Thats really interesting Jazzy. Where did you find all the info?

jazzyrider 12-30-2007 07:00 PM

i got them from a few random sites on the net :)

I Love Lane 12-30-2007 10:31 PM

This could account for Jarreds random behaviour on your trail ride on the weekend!!! LOL :twisted: :twisted:

jazzyrider 12-30-2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Love Lane

This could account for Jarreds random behaviour on your trail ride on the weekend!!! LOL :twisted: :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: quite possibly lol who was it that said warmbloods are quiet, gentle, smart horses lol mine sure isnt :P

I Love Lane 12-30-2007 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzyrider
Quote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: quite possibly lol who was it that said warmbloods are quiet, gentle, smart horses lol mine sure isnt :P

LMAO NOT ME!!!!!! :lol: I thought of your random story and started laughing as soon as i read that horses teeth and brain bit!!

For those who don't knkow what i am on about go to the thread of a million reply's in General off topic and read Jazzys post about trail riding on the weekend.... LOL

jazzyrider 12-30-2007 10:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzyrider
Quote:

LMAO NOT ME!!!!!! :lol: I thought of your random story and started laughing as soon as i read that horses teeth and brain bit!!

For those who don't knkow what i am on about go to the thread of a million reply's in General off topic and read Jazzys post about trail riding on the weekend.... LOL

lol jarred is the only wb i know that has the attitude and spark of a thoroughbred :) i didnt make the teet/brain connection but now i find it quite funny hehehe

I Love Lane 12-30-2007 11:13 PM

^^^^^ I didn't make the TEET/brain connection either....... i was more interested in the teeth/brain thingy LOL :lol:

buckaroo2010 12-30-2007 11:18 PM

Thats really interesting! :D

jazzyrider 12-31-2007 12:04 AM

Quote:

^^^^^ I didn't make the TEET/brain connection either....... i was more interested in the teeth/brain thingy LOL :lol:

lol oops :oops: