The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Needing advice on what kind, size, and style of saddle to get (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/needing-advice-what-kind-size-style-49804/)

Jamie2103 03-10-2010 07:14 PM

Needing advice on what kind, size, and style of saddle to get

I am new to the English style of riding and I have some questions, so I thought this would be a good place for ideas.....So, I have a Paint mare that I am wanting to get an English saddle for. I stand about 6'0 130 lbs. My riding instructor told me that I need at least an 18" saddle with an extended flap....I am wanting to do some jumping but not anything too serious. I also enjoy just trail/yard riding :) So she told me to get a Close Contact...I had thought I might need an all-purpose. So if you all have any ideas I would really appreciate that! Also if you all know any good affordable saddle shops, or certain manufacturers that tend to be suited for taller people.

kitten_Val 03-11-2010 08:42 AM

Frankly, if you wanna do trail riding and just some jumping I'd go with A/P. It's more comfortable and secure for the trail rides IMO, and you still can jump in it.

Now I'm 5'9'' and I have 17" A/P and 17.5" CC with long flaps for me. Friend of mine is 6' and she uses 18". So yes, you want something no less then 17.5 and with the long flaps. With English saddle it depends not only on size of the butt, but length of the legs as well. Also it depends on model. My A/P Collegiate seems to be bigger then Pessoa, that's why I use 17. Both brands fit me nice and I have long legs. Bates also seems to be nice, but it was little shorter for my legs then I liked. Also Marcel Toulouse is very nice for the price and fit me well. Or you can go with the older used models. Do you have any tack stores around so you could try the saddle? From my experience fitting saddle to both - horse and rider - is not always easy. I personally never order the saddle on Internet (unless the store allows test ride).

Jamie2103 03-13-2010 06:14 PM

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it. Yes I am very long-legged so it makes it difficult finding the correct saddle. I had found a few saddles that I was interested in but was not sure... one was a Marcel, and the others were names I was not keen on. I really like the Collegiate brand and there was another maker that I had liked but I cant recall it right now!! I was thinking of making a "model or form" or my mare's back so I could take it with me to the tack shop. The nearest tack shop that carries name-brands is about 80 miles away...Most people ride TWH and just western disciplines around here so it is difficult to trailer that far. But thank you again for the advice....

kitten_Val 03-14-2010 12:25 AM

What I did when I was shopping for my 2nd saddle I used wires to get the shape of my horse: one on her withers and other on her back (where the mid of the saddle sits). Then I took those formed wires with me to the store and explained the selling person what kind of horse I have (store was ~100 miles away in other state, but it had lots of saddles to choose from :) ).

Jamie2103 03-14-2010 09:25 PM

yea that sounds like a good idea, Thanks!!