The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Anyone else here have sizing problems? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/anyone-else-here-have-sizing-problems-49852/)

gingerlady 03-11-2010 03:09 PM

Anyone else here have sizing problems?

Now, I don't know about you ladies, but I have a terrible time trying to find breeches and boots that fit. I hate the traditional "my waistband is just under my breasts" fit of breeches, but I can't seem to find a good brand of low rise breeches. My legs are average length, so that's not the problem. I am a little more... "bottom heavy", I suppose you could say. When I try on a pair, they fit ok, but my tush is a little bigger, so when I sit or squat, they go too low and I look like a plumber instead of an equestrian. What about you girls? Any other ladies have this problem and if so, can you recommend any brands?

Also, I have a problem with my calves fitting into my tall boots. I've tried the largest calf sizes that tack stores carry, but I'm still unsuccessful. My feet are smaller, but they are quite wide, so the actual foot part is difficult to size. Again, anyone else have these dilemmas and want to chime in on good brands to try?

Dartanion 03-13-2010 08:31 PM

I have the same problem with boots, I wear a size 10 with a calf that's 17" and about 18ish 19" height. I've tried so many places and pretty much all of them have told me to go custom. I've found some boots that would fit but the are synthetic >.< So I am in the process of saving up for a pair of boots that will actually fit me..

whiskeynoo 03-22-2010 09:01 PM

my problem is finding a length of leg that fits my bum if you know what i mean D:

nkatan 10-13-2010 12:41 PM

Hi, I have a pair of Equitector boots with an 18 inch calf. I just love them they are so comfortable. They do all kind of fittings. Have look at their website equitector.com

kpptt2001 10-13-2010 01:21 PM

I have a pair of Tuscany Treadstone boots that are really comformtable and break in really quickly. They are offered in slim, regular and wide calf. You could try something like that.

Also, for breeches, I have gone through a few pairs and so far my favorite pair is a low rise Pikeur, a tad pricey however, so a cheaper alternative (fit wise - since it sounds like weve got the same shaped bottom) would be Elations. They are nothing fancy by any means, but they seem to do the trick for me.

As well, I swear by belts! :wink:

Good luck!

KittyCat 10-13-2010 11:58 PM

Yep yep.
For breeches: Tuffrider ribbed pull-on low-rise (and they make ones that fit shorter people!!!!! :) ) and Kerrits flow rise for knee patch and Microcord for full seat (tried em on, waiting on pay-check, my only problem is the sewing in the front seems to say 'hey, look down there' with the lighter colors).
For boots: my Ariat Challenge II 's are my biggest splurge ever for gear. 7.5, wide foot, SmallWide... will stretch out nicely if they are just-barely-come-on-you-#(*%@-get up-there too tight
My biggest problem is my shoulders are wide wide wide and biceps have too much muscle for the rest of my torso... I've had to go up, going on 4 sizes from my usual size. Anyone know of a show coat brand that does really wide shoulders?

upnover 10-15-2010 01:14 AM

Have you looked into the Kerrits "flow rise" breeches? They're cut lower in the front and higher in the back so when you're in the saddle you don't have that problem! I do think they run a bit small though (or are supposed to be tight).

Are you dead set on wearing tall boots? If you're that hard to fit and don't want to look into customs you might want to consider a good pair of half chaps. Many brands (Treadstep, ProChaps, etc) come in sizes of width/height combos instead of S M L so you can get a custom fit.

Brighteyes 10-16-2010 09:28 PM

I have similar problems. I have big old butt, big thighs, and a 22 inch waist. Also, I'm 5 feet even in height, with very, very short legs. I can NEVER find breeches and half chaps that fit! It's terribly frustrating. Either it fits me in length and isn't ride enough for my hips and tights, or too long... Half chaps are either the right length and too tight or the right tightness and WAY too long.

Quixotic 10-17-2010 01:58 AM

Mountain Horse is meant to fit fuller calves, I've just ordered a pair & am hoping they'll fit better than the Ariats I tried on - the XW calf fit on the bottom of my leg, but were huge on the top (I could fit my entire fist inside). There's also a brand called Fuller Fillies that caters towards women with fuller calves.

Snookeys 10-20-2010 06:15 AM

I got on here and was about to rant about the same thing in my own thread!!!

I am 6'2 and I wear a size 10 - 12 jean. My shoe size is a 12 in womens and a 10 in mens. What sucks is I can never find a decent pair of paddock boots because all the women sizes stop at 11! IT'S SO FRUSTRATING! My feet are super skinny, so most of the mens boots are too loose on me. It sucks being so freaking tall and being a horsewoman! Not only do I look like a goof on any horse under 16 hands, I can't ever find clothes that fit!

As for breeches; I am very satisfied with my TuffRider lowrise breeches. They were cheap, but they don't look it. They're extremely comfortable and come to a perfect height right below my belly-button. I ordered them from Crazy Horse Tack. I also have a pair of cotton pull-on breeches that are super comfy... I don't really worry about the length because my chaps cover them up at the bottom. Anyway... if you can figure out what waist size you're most comfortable wearing, you can probably order some nice breeches that you'll really like from here:

Crazy Horse Tack | English Tall Boots, English Saddles, Ariat Paddock Boots, Riding Apparel
Equestrian Collections Riding Apparel

As for boots, if anyone knows where they have extended ladies' sizes, I'd LOVE to know, because the soles of my current boots are falling off!!!