The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   need to build up back muscles (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/need-build-up-back-muscles-49858/)

artistic cowgirl 03-11-2010 04:14 PM

need to build up back muscles

my friends 3 yo tenessee walker is finially building her weight and muscle up but she is still lacking in her back. is there any good excersises to help her out (certian ways of riding or excersising...)

Guilherme 03-11-2010 06:51 PM

Walking.

G.

BlueEyedBeauty 03-11-2010 07:22 PM

Yep, Walking is in my opinion the best way to do it! Trails are good, uneven terrain helps them work just that little bit harder.

(:

Good luck!

CloudsMystique 03-12-2010 08:02 PM

Yeah, just get her collected. Get her back end underneath her... she'll raise her back and it'll get more muscled.

Make sure the saddle fits the horse. If the saddle is hurting her back it could cause her to travel with a hollow back, which makes it impossible to develop back muscles.

rockaway 03-12-2010 08:59 PM

You may want to check with a nutritionist (or search online) - we were trying to put weight and build muscle on a friend's horse - but just could not - she thought it was because horses have the ability to strip muscle from their topline when under any kind of stress (weight loss). They need minerals and vit - plus the right balance of usable protein and fats to build it back up. I can't recall the specifics but building the topline was a more difficult thing to do. You may know if this is not it at all. She did say you could have a horse that was actually fleshy in other parts and not develop a topline as it needs to be the right combination of nutrients. Just a thought.

Roxy 03-12-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artistic cowgirl (Post 574510)
my friends 3 yo tenessee walker is finially building her weight and muscle up but she is still lacking in her back. is there any good excersises to help her out (certian ways of riding or excersising...)

Yep, trotting. We have a Thoroughbred who needs it, and trotting heaps works. Not cantering. Just trot. Even trotting her on a lunge rope.

artistic cowgirl 03-21-2010 10:45 PM

ok thanks she was neglected when she got her she has been putting her weight on pretty easy now we are just getting the muscle she needs