The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   HONEST opinions and critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/honest-opinions-critique-49905/)

mramsay 03-12-2010 01:03 AM

HONEST opinions and critique

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, I have been drawing and painting on and off since I was very young, but never really complete things, and never like the way they turn out (they usually end up in the trash). I havent done anything in a couple of years, and usually just doodle, or make goofy drawings for friends, or christmas cards, etc. I finally pulled out some stuff yesterday and found a picture of a horse (my favorite subject) and made this drawing. I want everyones honest opinion, where do you see mistakes, what do you like, not like, what parts are out of proportion, etc. Do you think that I have the potential to do some commission work? I always seem to be a little heavy on the shading, and I tried to hold back on this guy, but the picture was of medium bay horse. I took me about 3 hours and is on 8.5x11 inch CHEAP and very corse sketch paper with a very hard charcoal pencil. I want you opinions, good and bad, cause I am looking for a way to possibly help pay for my final year at university. Thanks in advance!

Gidji 03-12-2010 01:14 AM

I'm no artist and I'm sure the artists on here will give you lots of advice, but overall I like the look of the horse. I agree that the shading is a bit dodgy, but it looks like the paper made it worse. Another thing that gets to me is the face, particularly the muzzle part. Its not that its out of porportion, its just something to do with the lines which I can't explain. I think you could most definately get some commisions because you are talented. :)

mramsay 03-12-2010 01:27 AM

Thanks for your input! I had a hard time with the muzzle on this one because it looked very wrinky on my reference pic, also the muzzle was very dark with a white snip over the nose. I think It would have been better if I could change the ref. pic to greyscale. And the paper IS horribl (just cheap sketchpad from walmart), I tried to smudge the shading on the body a bit, and it still looks that coarse.

Gidji 03-12-2010 04:00 AM

Yerr, the paper doesn't do it justice. I'm sure some of the artists on here can give you better advice, because after all I'm just saying what I think and I have no experience at art.

ptvintage 03-12-2010 07:41 AM

I only took art in high school (four years of it though!) but I think your shading is good. Having high contrast between the lights and darks makes the picture much more interesting imo. I wouldn't be so hard on yourself about the shading, if that's the way you want to do the shading, make it your personal style. It would be what sets you apart from other artists.

I think you should try and see if you can get commissions for your work. I think it's good enough, and there's no harm is just getting the word out and seeing who bites.

ShutUpJoe 03-12-2010 08:01 AM

I think it's incredible. I'm not really an artist but I would try doing a few more horses and keep at it.

midwestgirl89 03-12-2010 09:30 AM

If your past artwork looks anything like this I cringe at the thought of it going into the trash! This is very very nice. Very delicate and powerful at the same time.
I'm in the 'should I do commission work?' boat myself. But I think you could do it no problem.

HowClever 03-12-2010 09:41 AM

holy poopies!!
if thats rough shading I cringe at what mine is..........your work makes mine look like finger painting

Crimsonhorse01 03-12-2010 11:08 AM

Im not much of an artist but I am an equine fanatic. I think it looks really good. Love the legs.

MN Tigerstripes 03-12-2010 11:23 AM

It's beautiful. Really and I think with more practice you'll just get better. Personally I don't think the shading is bad (esp given the quality of paper) and the muzzle proportions are a little wonky, but nothing terrible. If it was my horse/comission I would be happy to get something like that.