The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Bathing too much? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/bathing-too-much-4992/)

horse_luver4e 12-31-2007 03:06 PM

Bathing too much?

When I first got Janie, her last owner told me that becuase she is a quality show horse, they bathed her everyday!

Is this healthy for them? Becuase I only bathe horses in the summer if there really dirty or they are going to show.

BluMagic 12-31-2007 04:03 PM

I think that's too much. It could cause the coat to loose shine and it's oil.

Equina 12-31-2007 06:54 PM

My boy is white all along his back and in the summer he likes to roll around a lot in the dirt. Then, when I ride, the sweat really brings that dirt up to the surface and gives him a grimy spot at the rear of my seat area, under the saddle pad. I'll often blast/hose this off after riding (sometimes daily). Although, I don't think it would be good to bathe a horse daily with soap because it removes the natural shiny oils from the coat (like Blu said). Could dry out his skin.

LuLu 12-31-2007 06:58 PM

No bathing everyday is ridiculous!! It will completely strip the coat of the natural oils that the horse needs! I only bath if I take my horse to a show, or the occasional one in the summer if it is really warm :)

tim 12-31-2007 07:02 PM

Maybe she meant that it was hosed everyday, as in she was exercised everyday to keep her in show condition and they needed to get the sweat off.

Hopefully, they didn't use soap though. Its not so bad to hose them with only water daily (in the summer) but too much shampoo is not good for horses.

PoptartShop 12-31-2007 09:39 PM

Bathing every day is a bit over-the-top...I wouldn't recommend it.
It's not good for the shine or oils. ;) But hosing the horse down everyday is OK. :)

buckaroo2010 01-01-2008 02:10 AM

yeah i would not bathe er eberyday it could cause her to have skin problems and make it dry out

Kyani 01-01-2008 11:36 AM

I agree with everyone - that can't be healthy. We hose down every day in summer because they get so sweaty, but never use soap more than about once a fortnight. If you were showing ALL THE TIME, maybe more, but I'd still limit it to once a week max.

jazzyrider 01-03-2008 05:30 AM

i agree with everyone else. my guys get hosed after a ride when they are all sweaty but baths with shampoo etc happen every fortnight or so. except in summer. i generally bath weekly in summer

lovinTwig 01-19-2008 02:28 AM

Everyday! WOW, I think that is to much too! I have heard that you should only bathe from once to twice a month!